Morgan Hanson builds peace in Africa

Kiley McCarthy, Staff Writer

Over the summer, many students go to the beach, camping, visit their family or stay home. For junior Morgan Hanson, however, she will spend part of her summer vacation in Africa. Through a unique nonprofit organization called Kids for Peace, Hanson and twenty other classmates will help build a school for children in Migori, Kenya.

“Kids for Peace and I are going to Africa to finish building a school for the underprivileged kids there,” Hanson said. “Kids for Peace fundraised the money that helped build the school.”

Hanson wanted to be a part of a community that would help her give back to the people in the world. Her dream for making a change in the world prompted her to join Kids for Peace.

“I chose to intern with kids for peace because I liked the idea of the program,” Hanson said. “I love helping to make the world a better and more peaceful place, starting with kids.”

She looks forward to working hard for the children and families of Migori to help them get the school they need. Since it rains frequently, a new school is essential for the children.

“I am looking forward to being able to help the kids and families in Migori, and being able to see their reactions when we present the school to them,” said Hanson.

Hanson’s passion for peace and for helping people has been with her since she was young. With the upcoming challenge, she is willing to put her passion to the test.

“I have always wanted to go on a trip like this to help with people less fortunate than us, and this is the perfect opportunity to do that,” Hanson said. “I want to accomplish peace and happiness for not only the children and families there, but also for myself. I want to give them hope.”

The Kids for Peace program has traveled to numerous places to motivate and provide kids with the tools they need to make change happen in the world.

“This opportunity will help get the Kids for Peace message across because it is helping to spread the program across the world,” Hanson said. “It is also helping the program in itself because it can add another wonderful experience to its list.”

Hanson values the opportunity to be able to travel to Africa in many ways. Along with improving the lives of others, she believes the experience will make a huge impact on her own life as well.

“I think this trip will give me a better understanding of how the rest of the world lives,” Hanson said. “It will help me appreciate more of what I have at home and teach me how I can make a lot out of very little.”