ASL signs through the decades

Hailey Nalitt

Every year ASL has a fall and spring performance. This years theme was decades. Anna Cunningham practices her part in the show.

Monique Dufault, A&E Editor

A biannual tradition, ASL performances in the fall and spring semesters give students a chance to show off their skills while bringing the community together for a charitable cause. A culmination of dedicated practice, the ASL spring showcase provides a dynamic performance to the stage.

“The theme of the show was decades,” senior Lorraine Debbas said. “When Mrs. Large put together the song list she started with the oldest song and worked the list all they way up to the 2010s.”

Once the basic outline of the show was created, students began their task of preparation.

“The process is fairly long,” senior Boston Anderson said. “After we know the theme, people in our class choose groups and bring in songs to audition. We start working for this show at the beginning of second semester so we spend a lot of time on it.”

This process becomes more extensive when assembling several acts to put through the system individually.

“I was in seven songs,” Debbas said. “I signed Sweet Caroline, Celebration, Stayin’ Alive, Everybody Wants to Rule the World, Senior Song, Adventure of a Lifetime and The Political Medley.”

Using the performance as more than just signing practice helped contribute to the hearing impaired community.

“The goal is to help raise money for scholarships for deaf people, or hearing people who want to go into Deaf Studies,” Anderson said. “It doesn’t raise money for the Deaf community directly but in a way you can say it helps give others a chance to become involved in it.”

The unity presented by the various ASL classes merging into one cast plays a large part in the dynamic of the show.

“My favorite part of the show is doing the dress rehearsals because you get to see the songs other classes worked on and see the entire production come together as a whole,” Debbas said.

Enjoyable for both the performers and spectators, the ASL program puts forth a high caliber performance year after year.

“I loved the show,” senior Kelsey Adams said. “They did a good job portraying the theme and it was really funny. I go every year and it’s always fun to watch.”