Getting to know Mr. Shinnefield

Mr. Shinnefield helps out his student, Hunter Padgett on their current unit section on World War 2.
Omar Ortega

Social studies teacher Mr. Shinnefield grew up in Orange County playing soccer and football in high school. He attended Stanford University and was a kicker on the college football team.

“I went to Stanford, which was a really neat opportunity with really neat students from all over,” Shinnefield said. “It was an educational experience, not just academically.”

Shinnefield attended law school at the University of San Diego, inspired by his older brother who also attended law school. USD provided an opportunity for college students to volunteer at nearby high schools in order to earn extra credits. Shinnefield decided to volunteer at Carlsbad High, teaching students about law-related issues.

“I really loved the classroom environment and campus,” Shinnefield said.

Law school provided an unexpected path for Shinnefield. As he volunteered at CHS, he started to consider teaching as a career. Shinnefield received his credential from San Diego State and began applying for jobs.

“I actually didn’t consider being a teacher until that time in law school. Both of my parents were teachers, but I never even thought of it,” Shinnefield said. “It wasn’t until I started volunteering that I began considering teaching as a career.”

Shinnefield began working here in 2005.

“I applied and under a week before the school year started, I was able to start working here,” Shinnefield said. “I happened to volunteer here and ended up getting my first job here. I feel very happy and fortunate.”