Dubstep allows student creativity to soar

Junior, Josh Collins works on his final editing on his Dubstep Remix.
Omar Ortega

Since the beginning of the decade, electronic music and its many sub-genres stepped out of the background into a music style of its own. Progressive, house, trap and dubstep all went from the clubs, to one of the most popular styles of music. Here in Carlsbad, young DJs follow in the footsteps of this amazing, diverse and creative style of music.

“I was always musical with the piano and choir,” junior Josh Collins said. “When I was in eighth grade my parents got me a sampler keyboard and from there, it kept going.”

Collins expanded his interest in the style when his grandparents contributed top-notch EDM production software. Now, Collins creates music in his own studio with keyboards, software and his macbook.  He has released two full-length tracks on soundcloud, a music sharing website.

Electronic music similarly touched sophomore Dominick Rice, who took his music past a recreational level when he entered a competition Spring Awakening Festival, a dubstep festival in Chicago.

“Five of the top ten contestants in votes will be chosen to DJ at the festival” Rice said.

Rice was bouncing around between 10th and 20th among over a hundred entries with his masterful remix of Ellie Goulding’s “Lights,” racking in the vote totals. Should he be selected, he would share his music at the largest EDM festival in the world next to DJs like Bassnectar and Calvin Harris.

And while the electronic genre built up so much, hard-nosed critics scrutinize the music as lack effort and musical talent.

“You don’t just sit there and push a button,” Rice said.

Addressing a common stereotype, DJs will quickly point out how the nuances of their style are overlooked by negative reviews.

“I actually think you need more musical talent to create dubstep  than regular music,” Collins said. “Instead of controlling one instrument, you control them all as well as having to understand sound and rhythm.”

Dubstep is music. As well as a great chance for professional and amateur musicians to let creativity run wild alongside the deep bass and flitting lights. Collins characterized it best in a description of his music:

“My music is something you can jump up and down to,” said Collins. “Something that makes you want to punch people in the face.”