• National Guard Lunch Visit 1/11

• First basketball home game 1/16 girls @5:30 and boys @7

• Advanced Theatre winter show 1/18 and 1/19 @7

• CHS baseball fundraiser 10th annual home run derby 1/26 @8 a.m.

• Orchestra area concert 1/28 @6

Filed under Sports

Weightlifters pull through at the IWF World Championships

From Nov.28 to Dec.5, international weightlifters compete for the gold medal.

by Rachel Coval

by Rachel Coval

by Rachel Coval

Weightlifter Greg Everett once said, “Any weight you make is better than any weight you miss.” This comes true to weightlifters all around the world as they gather up for the heaviest obstacle. From Nov. 28 to Dec. 5, the Weightlifting World Championships commences at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California.

On Dec.5, Mattie Rogers scores team U.S.A. a win with the first Women’s Weightlifting World Medal in 12 years, winning bronze. The last time a woman representing the US won the world medal was in 2005. Olympic bronze medalist Cheryl Haworth jerked a total in the +75 kg in 2005. Along with Rogers, Harrison Mauris snatched two bronze medals for team U.S.A., winning in the men’s 77 kg.

Even with the success in team U.S.A., Iran’s Sohrab Moradi sets two new world records in the clean & jerk at 233 kg, totaling 417 kg. He broke his own world record, beating his previous total by four kg.

On the woman’s side, Thailand’s Sopita Tanasan went full on against world and Olympic champion Hsu Shu-Ching, forcing a withdrawal from the women’s 53 kg to claim a series of gold medals. Tanasan, the defending Olympic champion in the women’s 48 kg category won with 96 kg, managing to perform three lifts. She then went onto clutch clean and jerk with 114 kg for an unbeatable score of 210 kg. Chinese Taipei’s Hsu was the silver medalist in the snatch with 93 kg, but she was unable to return for the clean and jerk after injuring her right elbow.

Heads turned when transgender Laurel Hubbard from New Zealand was expected to win gold for the +90 kg class, where hopes rested high for Sarah Robles, from San Diego, who was third at the Rio Olympics last year.

Currently, Thailand reigns supreme as they lead the medal count with five gold, seven silver and three bronze. Islamic Republic of Iran follows second with five gold, three silver and six bronze. The United States stays on the bottom half of the top ten at ninth place with three gold and five bronze.

Learning upon their performance, professionals such as Rogers hopes to wins in future competitions for herself and the national team.

“I would really, really like to have an international gold, whether it’s Pan Ams, worlds, whatever I can get,” Rogers said in her recent interview with Karen Price, a reporter from Team USA. “I’m sure if I keep working at it, it can be possible.”

Chloe Tran, News Editor

Chloe Tran is a junior at Carlsbad High School. This is her second year in journalism. She is on the girls varsity team and recently won CIFs with her team. She is also a volunteer at Sharp Mary Birch for mothers and newborns. On her free time, she enjoys listening to BTS and Taylor Swift as well as reading and writing.