• Prom 5/12

• AP testing begins May 1

• Graduation 6/14

• Orchestra concert 6/4

• Choir POP show 6/1 & 6/2

Filed under Opinion

How traveling will change you

City lights in downtown Denver, Colorado.

by Jules Cisco

by Jules Cisco

When people ask me where I’m from, it’s a bit hard to explain. Living in seven different places, going in and out of country and attending 11 different schools, I guess you could say I’m a pretty big traveler. There’s some things traveling will teach you that you would never learn from sitting in a classroom. There’s so much to experience and see out in the world, so why not get started?

Not only does traveling change you, it challenges you as well. Whether you’re in a new city, state or country, I can promise that you will learn so much about yourself. Zig zagging through busy cities, ordering from a restaurant when you don’t speak the language or anything new, will show you just how resourceful you can be.

Not only do you leave a new place with pictures and souvenirs, you also leave with new knowledge and skills. No matter where you go you will be entering a whole new world with a whole new culture, therefore bringing both issues and opportunities. 

Traveling opens your mind so deeply because you’re constantly adapting to wherever you are while learning new things along the way. It’s how you handle these things that teaches you more qualities about yourself that you never knew you had. Whether you’re uncomfortable trying a new food, learning a new language or just simply meeting new people, you will push yourself outside of your comfort zone and leave with so much more than you arrived with.

Exploring a new place will also make you appreciate your hometown in a whole new way. When you’re stuck doing the same thing daily, you become part of a routine, but when you leave you truly see what’s special about where you’re from or what’s holding you back from leaving. To some people, traveling is a form of therapy. Your mind will become so distracted by the activities taking place in your new destination that you will forget about your worries or stress back home and it will give you the opportunity to relax and have fun. This will leave you returning home at peace with yourself and whatever is going on.

To me, the coolest part of traveling is seeing things in a whole new perspective. You get there and something just hits you and you think, “wow, everybody is so different.” We’re all so unique and look at the world in different perspectives. When was the last time you truly immersed yourself in a whole new light?

Jules Cisco, staff writer
Jules Cisco is a junior at Carlsbad High. Photography has been a passion of hers for a few years, and she’ll capture anything that catches her eye. Jules has traveled her whole life and plans to do it more. She listens to a wide variety of music such as alternative, rap, indie, country, and more....