Balancing gun use in America

March 16, 2018

With constant occurrences of mass shootings, the supposed American culture of guns seems to be receiving more and more backlash. Many Americans’ lifestyles still revolve around gun ownership, but while the gun control debate has become a complex talk of laws and regulations, an important question remains: Should Americans lose their right to bear arms when it comes to shooting sports, such as hunting?

In a survey consisting of 92 students, the majority, 29.3%, of them believe we should ban some guns, but sporting guns should be allowed. These students argue that we need gun restrictions in a way that limits our second amendment right only when it comes to the extremely dangerous and unnecessary guns. At the same time, these stricter gun laws will allow for the licensed people to enjoy their guns.

“I was always in favor of increased regulation, but the recent shootings have strengthened my opinion that those who chose to use a gun for sport should be better regulated and controlled,” junior Corin Magee said. “I think that some people should be able to use guns in sports, because the vast majority of people who do are well trained and certified. That being said, I also believe that we need to get substantially stricter on who has access to guns and what guns are being used. Lives are more important, but freedoms shouldn’t be unnecessarily restricted.”

When analyzing who should be able to obtain a gun or not, students recognize that many Americans still rely on certain benefits guns can bring. People in rural environments own the most guns, and they’re also more likely to use their guns for hunting than people living in urban areas.

“Some people still hunt for their food,” sophomore Leo Barruetto said. “For example, many people in Alaska rely on rifles to put food on the table for their families.”

This need for guns in some areas of America is not to say that we should allow all guns. Despite the National Rifle Association’s efforts to identify with sporting gun owners, around 90% of gun owners are not members of the NRA. This is because the majority of certified gun owners just use a gun that adequately fulfills their hobby and provides for good hunts, so the extreme assault weapons are irrelevant to them.

“Most hunters would agree that using a high rate of fire assault rifle defeats the purpose and skill involved in hunting,” senior Dillan Krichbaum said.

This common understanding between most gun owners and those advocating for gun control simplifies the debate overall. Many guns must be eliminated, but we must also respect the fact that people all over the country rely on their guns, and they do so honestly and responsibly.

“[Gun shooting] is a hobby just like everything else, and it should be allowed,” senior Dailey Sparks said. “Gun culture is not just shooting. It is a community of very friendly and good hearted people who are wanting to help others, and most of all, they are very accepting of new people. Every member is eager to help new people learn the rules and proper safety of guns, and we all do our best to stress the importance of safety.”