In this photo, all six juices are shown in the order which they are reviewed. (Sarah Brooks)
In this photo, all six juices are shown in the order which they are reviewed.

Sarah Brooks

Trying a one-day juice cleanse

April 18, 2020

Since the 70s “juicing” has become a method of consuming necessary fruits and vegetables every day. Juice companies have taken advantage of this method by creating juice cleanses, which have several health benefits. For one day, I decided to try a juice cleanse and determine if it is everything advertisers say it is. 

The cleanse system I bought was the “Cleanse 1” from Pressed Juicery, which is the most filling juice for first timers like me, and best for athletes since it contains more protein. It included six juices, numbered in the order which you drink them, to last the whole day. It also included a guide to cleansing, and costs about $35. Since a single juice can cost anywhere from $5 to $8, this seems like a reasonable price for the number of juices you’re getting. 

At around 7 a.m. I had the first juice, which was “vanilla almond,” made from almonds, dates, vanilla and sea salt. I found this made a surprisingly filling breakfast and tasted great. Following this I had the “greens 2” about two hours later. This was made of apple, cucumber, celery, lemon, spinach, kale and parsley. Unfortunately, the unique flavor made this hard to drink, but very hydrating.

Next, I drank “roots 2” at about 11 a.m., which was made with carrot, apple, spinach, lemon, parsley, ginger and kale. This was filling and better than the juice I had previously, but also had a distinct flavor. About two hours after that, I had “citrus 2,” made out of apple, pineapple, lemon and mint. This juice was definitely one of my favorites, because it tasted delicious, while being a necessary break from the juices I didn’t like. 

Around dinner time, I drank “greens 3,” which is similar to “greens 2” but includes ginger. The flavor was definitely not my favorite but it was full of the necessary vitamins I need to nourish my body. Around 7 p.m., I had the last juice which was “chocolate almond” made from almonds, dates, cacao and sea salt. This was another one of my favorites because it was very filling, reminded me of chocolate milk and made for a good dessert.  

Contrary to popular belief, there was no point during my one-day juice cleanse that I felt weak or even hungry while drinking juices back-to-back. The next day, I actually felt slightly more hydrated, felt more energetic and had more nutrients. Energy, hydration and nutrients were my only goals with this juice cleanse. Trying a juice cleanse for weight loss or dieting is typically not advised and would need to be discussed with a doctor first.

Overall, trying a juice cleanse for a day was fun, but since I felt relatively the same, I do not think I would try one again. However, the service and juices from Pressed Juicery were better than expected, and for anyone interested in trying a cleanse I recommend their products.