Muilenburg teaches his way to the top

June 8, 2018

Mr.+Muilenburg+won+this+years+teacher+of+the+year+award.+Muilenburg+is+seen+here+instructing+students+of+his+AP+environmental+class+how+to+properly+analyze+a+mortality+chart.+

Tosh Everett

Mr. Muilenburg won this years “teacher of the year” award. Muilenburg is seen here instructing students of his AP environmental class how to properly analyze a mortality chart.

The growth that occurs during a students life is very dependent on who they have influencing them as they are growing up. Parents, friends, and teachers that a person is surrounded by can either help or harm their future successes. Teachers are a category of people that take a huge part in hundreds of kids life development each year. Mr. Muilenburg has been awarded “Teacher of the Year” for his extensive work towards the science program.

Science classes can be one of the required classes that are dreaded by some students. Senior, Rachel Whitehead, likes that her CP Marine class is not one of the classes that she dislikes going to.

“It shows when a teacher really cares about their job,” Whitehead said. “Having Mr. Muilenburg for a teacher is nice because he makes what we are learning about more interesting.”

Something that makes Muilenburg such a unique teacher is his use of field trips and hands on learning. The students take field trips to further increase their understanding of what they may be learning at that time. Not only are these field trips more intriguing than sitting in a classroom, but they also allow people to comprehend the topic in different ways that might work better for them.

“I love the field trips that we have gone on for this class,” Whitehead said. “I definitely like that we get to actually see what we are learning about instead of just looking in a textbook. I think it does help me understand the concepts he is teaching better.”

I definitely like that we get to actually see what we are learning about instead of just looking in a textbook. I think it does help me understand the concepts he is teaching better.

— Rachel Whitehead

Most students around campus know Muilenburg for his wide selection of reptiles and animals in his room. Of course these animals are fun to be around but they also apply to what Muilenburg is trying to explain to the class.

“My favorite part about his class is that he has the animals in his room,” Whitehead said. “They are really fun to look at and be around and no other teachers have anything like that in their classrooms.”

Anyone who takes Muilenburg’s class is guaranteed new learning opportunities and experiences for their education. His award is well deserved based on how many students enjoy going to his class.

“Before this year I really did not like science,” junior Emily Padilla said. “Now I really do look forward to going to his class and learning things that I would not know otherwise.”

Photo of Alyssa Miller
Alyssa Miller, Features Editor
Alyssa Miller is a third year journalism student and the features editor for Lancer Link. She enjoys writing and learning information about the school and is extremely excited to spend her last year at CHS on the journalism staff.

The Lancer Link • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in