Fall is here, which means the weather goes down to a crisp 62 degrees, short shorts are swapped with jeans and crop tops with cropped sweaters. However, you don’t have to be a white girl to enjoy this sweater weather. Fall fun is available for everyone!
**Disclaimer: These ideas may seem cliché, but everyone knows they are true. And awesome.
1. Fall Specialties: For most countries around the world, fall is distinguished by the chilly weather and colored leaves. But for California, where weather is rare, we know it by the come-back of the pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks. Sad, yes, but accurate. Other fall specialties include the pumpkin shake at Ruby’s, pumpkin smoothie at Jamba Juice and the various desserts and candies including pumpkin pie.
2. Fall Colors: Fall is a time for many changes, including color palette. Neon and pastel colors from summer get replaced with darker reds and browns. These autumn colors inspire home decor and everyday style. Girls tend to start using darker lipstick and paint their nails black or maroon. Colors help to set the mood of the season.
3. Decorations: Lighted pumpkins line neighborhoods and spooky decorations are scattered on yards. Rooms are decorated with string lights, mini pumpkins and candles of several scents. Create the perfect ambiance by setting a fake fireplace as your laptop desktop. Take full advantage of the Autumn season by “fall-ifying” your space.
4. Food: Pumpkin, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin scones, pumpkin breads. ‘Tis the season of the great pumpkin-flavored-anything. Take advantage of this season, because it only lasts for a few months.
5. TV and Movies: The fall season is not complete until you have watched the “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown ” special, or held a scary movie marathon with your friends. Milder Halloween movies, such as “Halloweentown,” “The Haunted Mansion” or “Casper the Friendly Ghost” are perfect for a relaxing afternoon while baking some Halloween cookies. Scary movie enthusiasts can indulge in more intense films, such as “The Shining,” “Poltergeist” or “Texas Chainsaw Massacre.”
6. Style: The style change from summer to fall is a big one. Flips-flops subside and boots (combat, uggs or ankle) become a must to every outfit. Thick sweaters and comfy cardigans are seen all throughout the fall time while knitted socks and leggings are added for a casual and easy look. Fall style can range from long dresses and scarves to yoga pants and sweatshirts–you make the call.
7. Pumpkin Patch and Haunted Houses: You can’t have the full fall fun experience without carving pumpkins. Go to Bates Nut Farm, Carlsbad Pumpkin Patch (in the Strawberry Fields) or even pick up a pumpkin from your local Vons. Several pumpkin patches also provide hayrides and carnival games. To add to the Halloween spirit, visit a haunted houses such as Knott’s Scary Farm and The Scream Zone.
8. Smelly candles: Walk into a room and smell the refreshing aroma of crunchy autumn leaves and cinnamon apple. Fall candles are a must, and Bath and Body Works makes it easy to acquire dozens of different autumn-inspired scents.
9. Vacation Season: It is almost Thanksgiving break and no school allows for hours of uninterrupted fall fun. Spend it wisely!
10. Halloween: Halloween is tomorrow and your opportunity to dress to impress. Go all out with your costume and make sure to have fun and be safe.
The fall season certainly does not fall short in Carlsbad!