• Prom 5/12

• AP testing begins May 1

• Graduation 6/14

• ASL show 4/20 & 4/21

• Choir POP show 6/1 & 6/2

BRIEF: Alex and Brenden Gresham return to Carlsbad after life at sea

The Gresham family on their boat. They lived on the sea for three and a half years.

Courtesy of the Gresham family

Courtesy of the Gresham family

Stella Muehlhausen, Staff Writer

Sophomore Alex and middle school student Brenden Gresham did not have the same upbringing as most children; they lived on a boat. For three and a half years, the Gresham brothers spent their lives on open water, traveling to places including New Zealand and Fiji.

Obviously, moving onto a boat brought many changes to their everyday lives. It would also take some getting used to because not everyone lives on a boat.

“Living on a boat was extraordinarily different from the average American’s lifestyle,” Alex said. “We rarely had internet, the food in grocery stores was very limited, and of course we were homeschooled.”

Although leaving behind everything you know may be a challenge, this adventure brought many new and exciting experiences into the lives of the Gresham boys. Alex was in the sixth grade when his family decided to move onto a boat.

“Leaving our former home was hard, but then again I was pretty young and didn’t fully understand at the time what we were getting into,” Alex said. “My favorite part about living on a boat was meeting people from all over the place, but it was hard having to say goodbye to them.”

Brenden was only in fourth grade when he moved onto a boat, and although it may have been hard at first, he enjoyed his time at sea.

“It was hard leaving my friends from home, but it was fun to meet other people who lived on boats and to see how they lived,” Brenden said.

Alex and Brenden think that this opportunity to travel around the world with each other has impacted them endlessly, and it has changed them for the better.

“I feel like I am more mature now than other people because I was around more adults than children from a younger age,” Brenden said.

After three and a half years of this lifestyle, Alex looks back on his journey and reflects.

“After coming back to California, I feel the responsibilities I had from the boat opened my eyes to many things going on all over the world, good and bad,” Alex said.