by Maddie Ward

Students are covered in foam during Blizzard 3.0 at lunch, Thursday, Dec. 14. Free ponchos and treats were given to students to celebrate winter.

Bringing snow into Carlsbad

The annual Carlsbad blizzard comes again!

January 19, 2018

For the past couple of years, Carlsbad High School has been added a winter wonderland to lunchtime activities. The blizzard was an event that most students are able to look forward to right before winter break.

The soapy foam is dispersed throughout the quad where everyone is able to enjoy the rare “snowstorm” that the school has provided. It’s a time to let loose and get you in the winter break spirit.

“I really like the blizzard,” sophomore Noah Vella said. “I remember it from last year and I think it’s cool that they are bringing it back again for everyone to enjoy. I do not know how long it has been going on for, but I hope that they continue doing it in the future because it is a really unique experience that not many high school students get to have at their school.”

I do not know how long it has been going on for, but I hope that they continue doing it in the future because it is a really unique experience that not many high school students get to have at their school.

— Noah Vella

During the blizzard, there was something for everyone to enjoy. Whether you wanted to slide around in the snow or buy an ice cream sandwich, CHS made sure that this event was a highlight of your high school experience.

“I participated in it last year and it was really fun,” Vella said. “I am looking forward to it this year and years to come because it’s a time to just have fun with your friends. I am probably most excited for the ice cream and cookies that we get this year.”

When comparing this year to last year, there was a new addition added to the blizzard. This year, Baked Bear sold ice cream sandwiches, cookies, and regular ice cream. So if the snow was not for you, the tasty treats would still allow you to participate in the event.

“I think it is a really good idea for them to add the Baked Bear,” Vella said. “Everybody likes food so it will definitely be a really popular thing for anyone who does not want to actually play in the soap. It’s at lunch so people will be hungry anyways. I think the ice cream sandwiches will probably sell out.”

Enjoying the blizzard was not just for the underclassmen. Juniors and seniors also liked to take advantage of the pre winter break fun. Some decided to stay on campus to see the soapy foam and would participate in it just as much as the freshmen and sophomores.

“I usually stay on campus for the blizzard,” junior Emily Padilla said. “I always go off campus, but I like to stay on during the blizzard because it only comes around once a year and it’s a lot of fun to watch.”

The blizzard is a unique event that CHS has allowed us to enjoy. Not many people can say that their lunch consisted of a snowball fight and ice cream sandwiches.

“I don’t know any other school that does this,” Vella said. “I think more schools should do it, especially if they live somewhere like here where it doesn’t actually snow.”