Lehrmann climbs to success

Melissa Contreras, Staff Writer

Carlsbad High School has always had multiple clubs for students to choose from. This year, students had the opportunity to add a new club to their options. Senior Oshean Lehrmann teamed up with classmates, Meghan Brennan and Preston Brandmeyer, to begin the Rock Climbing Club this year.

Lehrmann grew up with his family who loves this sport and was influenced to continue and bring the sport to Carlsbad High School

“I am president of rock climbing club and I’ve been climbing with my family for longer than I can remember, from Joshua tree to a river in Wisconsin,” senior Oshean Lehrmann said.

Rock Climbing club meets every even friday in Mr. Brandmeyer’s classroom to discuss over the progress of all of the members and to learn new rope and rock climbing techniques.

“So usually during meetings we talk about different techniques of climbing, we talk about where everyone has been recently climbing, and different peoples accomplishment,” senior Meghan Brennan said. “At vital there’s color codes of difficulty, so say if someone’s recently gone from going on green climbs to going on a yellow climbs then we’ll talk about that and also Oshean will teach people how to tie ropes, do different knots and it’s really just relaxing talking about rock climbing.”

Lehrmann dedicates many of his days to rock climbing and has influenced his friends to start as well and join him on his climbs.

“Oshean started getting me into rock climbing by taking me out climbing in actual parks and. We would go to Borrego, Cold Valley and actually set up to climb those and initially it was kinda scary for me,” Brennan said. “I’ve always been afraid of heights but eventually I just got kinda use to it and it was a fun way to workout.”

The club meets at Vital in Carlsbad on Fridays at six o’clock to climb together and every once and awhile they plan trips to different places with Lehrmann to climb outdoors.

“A usual day can start with a hike to the rock, but sometimes we go somewhere in the desert where you can drive straight to the rock,” Lehrmann said. “Then we set up protective gear and just climb until we can’t anymore”

As senior year is heading to a close, Lehrmann is enjoying his climbs here before he sets out new goals at new places after high school.

“I love how much climbing works your arms while still being fun and feeling like an achievement,” Lehrmann said. “I definitely plan to keep going after high school, no matter where I go.”