William Zheng models citizenship

Senior+Luzia+Coelho+talks+to+fellow+members+of+Model+UN+to+discuss+upcoming+events.+Model+UN+meets+every+Wednesday+in+room+8106.+

Hanna Dupre

Senior Luzia Coelho talks to fellow members of Model UN to discuss upcoming events. Model UN meets every Wednesday in room 8106.

Kitty Knorr, Writer

Every Wednesday at lunch in room 8106, a group of Carlsbad teens band together and discuss international relations. Interested? Wait and stay tuned because you should be interested. This club would be non-existent if it wasn’t for Model United Nations’  leader senior William Zheng.

“As a freshman, I attended Pacific Ridge School which had a great Model UN program over there, “Zheng said. “I thought it was a really fun and unique way to learn about international issues and to come up with novel solutions ourselves. So, when I came to Carlsbad and saw that there was no program like MUN on campus, I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to introduce the community to it.”

It’s the club’s second year on Carlsbad’s campus, and the club has had amazing effects on its participants.

“It makes you a more open-minded person,” senior Luiza Coelho said. “Model UN forces you to argue through the lens of someone different; you are representing a country whose culture and ideals are very different from your own.”

Without a doubt, Zheng possesses more ambition than most teenagers.

“Not only has MUN afforded me greater insight about international politics and issues, but it’s allowed me to better a variety of skill including teamwork, debate, public speaking and more,” Zheng said. “Furthermore, at MUN conferences, I’ve been able to make connections with people from all over the country and the world, so it has definitely allowed me to form new bonds with others. With all the new knowledge that I constantly gain through MUN, whether it be during research or conferences, I have become more driven and inspired to make a positive impact in the community.”

Zheng’s impact shines through MUN. However, Zheng also has senior Luiza Coehlo by his side. This leadership duo creates a welcoming environment, for an activity that can otherwise be seen as overwhelming.

“Model UN is definitely research intensive,” Coelho said. “There are speeches that you prepare, but there isn’t a lot of speaking time. It’s like a giant discussion; it aims to imitate the United Nations in structure, so the procedures and motions we would call for are things that the United Nations would actually use.”

Carlsbad’s Model UN competes at several conferences throughout the year. As soon as they sign up, each school is assigned a country. At their last tournament, Carlsbad represented Columbia. During the day, club members take part in different assemblies.

“Aside from just doing research on the assembly, you also do research on your country: your imports and exports, what your demographics are and your nation’s history,” Coelho said. “All that information tells you how your country would react to certain proposals during the assembly. It’s also very much like acting; your supposed to stay in character.”

While this activity also allows Carlsbad students to enhance their roles as public speakers, it has helped Zheng craft his skills as a leader. Zheng has impacted CHS’s campus. Lancers all are welcome to stop by room 8106 at lunch. Whether you’re looking to expand your knowledge or get out of comfort zone, test the global waters because you will be in great hands.

“Running all aspects of MUN from logistics to actually teaching it has allowed me to experience a leadership role in its entirety,” Zheng said. “Most, if not all, the topics discussed during MUN conferences are actual current event issues, and so it provided me the insight of the struggles many international communities go through. I hope that I can utilize the skills that I have gained through MUN, schooling, and my other extra-curricular activities to make a positive impact on other communities.”