SETA inspires students to prevent animal abuse

Students of the SETA club meet every odd Wednesday to discuss their upcoming projects. President Sophie Blake (left), spoke on Feb. 13 about their pet toy drive coming up next month.
Sierra Gomperts

Students for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (SETA) is a new club on campus that was created to spread awareness of animal abuse to the students of CHS. SETA club tries to prevent animal abuse by promoting shelters and volunteering in the community.

“Our main goal is to offer ways that students can help animals that are being abused or mistreated. [SETA also] spreads awareness on animal testing and factory farming,”  junior Sophie Blake said.

SETA club supports the idea of adopting animals from shelters, and is planning monthly trips to the ‘The Barking Lot” dog rescue. SETA is also starting a drive to collect animal supplies.

With an inspiring goal to help animals and the community, SETA club has received much attention from the students here at CHS.

“I think [SETA provides] a really good way to connect with the community and be involved with a cause to help animals,” junior Masami Amakawa said. “It’s not only a great place to meet new friends and gain hours, but to give back to the community. Animals give unconditional love and this is our way to give back to them.”

No experience with animals is needed to join the club, and making a difference may be easier than one would think.

“People don’t have to know anything [about animals] to join,” Blake said. “I hope the people who join have a love for animals, and [can] put their passion into something meaningful. I don’t think students realize how much they can help by making simple changes, such as the make-up you wear or the restaurants you eat at.”

If you want to join SETA club, be sure to go to room 5102 every odd Wednesday at lunch to learn about upcoming events.

“If you want to make a difference in an animal’s life, you can join,” Blake said.