Starting fresh: tips for incoming freshmen

For incoming freshmen, high school is a new beginning. Having been in your shoes a little more than a year ago, I know that, for some, entering high school wasn’t the smoothest transition. Here are a few tips to help guide you for a successful first year:

1) Change your study habits.

As busy students, we all can admit that we have mastered the art of procrastination, but entering a high school environment is sure to roughen new students up a bit. There’s no need for an abrupt change in work ethic; a little effort to complete work sooner can make all the difference between a stressful or peaceful school year.

2) Get involved.

In high school, there is no more productive way to meet other students than joining clubs, activities and sport teams. As you step on campus next year, take a step out of your comfort zone and mingle with new people. It’s really nice to have an upperclassman friend to help guide you during the first year.

Note: This certainly doesn’t suggest that you should turn on your friends of the old days. As the famous saying goes, “Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver, the other gold.”

3) Manage your time and future plans.

This is advice you’ve probably been blowing off ever since you’ve heard it. However, with the introduction of a block schedule and more challenging classes, it’s time to start staying organized and plan ahead. Whether this is done through a planner or simply by being on top of things, students should have some type of organizer to be prepared.

Note: to avoid embarrassment on the first day of your high school career, come early or beforehand to familiarize yourself with the campus or ask for a map.

4) Lastly, take every opportunity you can.

As cliché as it might sound, freshman year will flash before your eyes. As a freshman, you have nothing to lose, so explore the broader range of electives presented, get involved and be ambitious. Don’t regret you decisions or actions, because while high school isn’t your entire life, it certainly is four significant years.