• Boys lacrosse alumni game 12/22

• Film Academy fundraiser at Norte Restaurant 12/12

• Varsity boys basketball showcase tournament 12/15

• CHS orchestra concert 12/14

• Academy Internship Application due 12/21

Marisa Bubnis kicks her way into college

Sophomore, Marisa Bubnis,  commits to University of Tennessee. After years of playing soccer, Bubnis' hard work pays off.

Sophomore, Marisa Bubnis, commits to University of Tennessee. After years of playing soccer, Bubnis' hard work pays off.

Maddie Ward

Maddie Ward

Maddie Ward

Mackenzie Karnig, staff writer

Being able to play the sport you love is a blessing, and continuing to play beyond high school is a dream to most athletes. Sophomore Marisa Bubnis now has the opportunity to pursue her dream by playing soccer after high school at the University of Tennessee. By committing so early, Bubnis has the ability to focus on putting all her work towards her future at Tennessee.

Just this month, Bubis committed to the University of Tennessee for soccer, and she will be part of the incoming class of 2021. Bubnis started playing soccer at about 4 years old, when her parents decided to put her into soccer.

“What I like most about soccer is all of the players that I have met, and my teammates are like family to me now,” Bubnis said.

From the start of playing her favorite sport, Bubnis knew she wanted to play soccer in college. As soccer is very important to Bubnis, she is focusing on academics as well. In the future, she would like to be studying somewhere in the math field, such as majoring in business.

“University of Tennessee was never my dream school when I was younger, but now that I will be attending there, it is a dream come true,” Bubnis said.

Off the field, Bubnis works on becoming the best player she can be. Hard work and dedication aren’t just used at her practice and games, but also on her own time.

“Outside of soccer practice, I train a lot and workout to stay fit off the field,” Bubnis said.

Now that she has found her way to her future in college, Bubnis has many things to be excited about.

“I am mostly excited about all the gear at Tennessee that I will be getting, and the coaching staff that will be coaching me through my four years at college.”

Only being a sophomore, Bubnis is going to have to wait a while until she can become a Volunteer, but until then she will have to finish her high school experience here at Carlsbad High School.

“ I am most excited about being committed, because I have now found the right fit for me,” Bubnis said.

Mackenzie Karnig, staff writer

This is Mackenzie's first year on Lancer Link. She likes to play volleyball. She is on the school volleyball team here at Carlsbad High School. Her favorite...