Lancer softball swings into the new season

Freshman, Maele Hensch pitches for JV sotball and pitched and played an excellent game against RBV.

Jazmin Treadway, staff writer

On March 21, Lancer JV softball had an away game at Rancho Buena Vista High School where they came home with another win. Coach Leo and Assistant Coach Delaney spoke very highly about all the girls, their passion for the game and their friendships with one another.

As the girls softball team cheers each other on, team co-captains Sam Foley and Taylor Tibbles, both sophomores at Carlsbad, lead the team by example and encouragement.

“We have team bonding events like going to people’s houses every Friday for a pizza party,” sophomore Sammy Foley said.

While being the only returners on the team, Foley and Tibbles have many responsibilities to help the team stay in order and keep the other girls working together as a team.

“We kind of knew how Coach Leo was and how things went. So, we have been doing a lot more drills and team bonding events,” sophomore Taylor Tibbles said.

Tibbles had a great game against RBV earlier this week hitting her first homerun of the season, making the score 6-2 Lancers.

“I’m really happy about my home run because my batting average hasn’t been the greatest so far this season. So hitting it over the fence was really nice. It felt really good to finally make a really solid hit,” Tibbles said.

The catcher this year, freshman Shayln Foley, younger sister of co-captain Sam Foley, gives an excellent addition to the team. Her strong arm and great encouragement throughout the game and practices gives a new spice to JV softball.

“We played really good as a team. Our next game is Thursday at Poway. Come out and support,” Foley said.

As the game progressed, Lancers stayed ahead all seven innings and had great hitting averages in the final inning. After Tibbles excellent home run, #16 Hennsh M, also the pitcher of the game, came in with a strong hit towards left field to advance the runner.

“Last year we lost to RBV once and beating them 6-3 this time was definitely better than last year and I’m proud of us,” Tibbles said.

The final score was 6-3 with a quick and easy last inning. The girls pulled together to finish a well deserved win against Rancho Buena Vista.

“Lancers are great. Bleed Purple. We are the best.” Foley said.