Varsity girls basketball dominates against Oceanside

+Carlsbad+varsity+basketball+player%2C+Dominique+Liebentritt+goes+for+a+free+throw+shot+on+Wednesdays+game+against+Santa+Fe+Christian.+The+games+throughout+the+week+were+part+of+the+third+annual+Jason+Harper+tournament.

Marianna Marsden

Carlsbad varsity basketball player, Dominique Liebentritt goes for a free throw shot on Wednesdays game against Santa Fe Christian. The games throughout the week were part of the third annual Jason Harper tournament.

Whitney Drucker, A&E Editor

On Tuesday, Dec. 9, CHS girls varsity basketball played Oceanside in the Lancer Arena for their first game of the Jason Harper tournament. This was the third annual tournament in which half of the proceeds go to the Harper family, a former teacher at CHS.

The final score of the game was 68-21, with Carlsbad completely dominating the game. In previous games they held a record of 4-1, only losing to San Marcos. Last year, in this same tournament they lost to Oceanside, making the win even more rewarding for the Lancers.

The first point was scored by Oceanside off a free throw, but the Lancers regained their points right away by scoring four points followed by a three pointer. Following the timeout, Rebecca Allen got the rebound dribbled it down court and scored bring them up to 11 points.

“We had a really strong defensive game, which gave us a lot of opportunities to get steals and convert on the offensive end,” Allen said. “We were able to take care of the ball pretty well and limit our turnovers.”

During the game, Lancers made many break aways and scored most points off offensive rebounds. By there end of the first period, the score was 20 to 3.

“I really liked seeing how well our team worked together as a unit,” Sophomore Alana Snow said. “When we were able to execute our offensive plays, we had the most success, I think this game was a good showcase of our chemistry and execution.”

To start off the second period, Carlsbad made the first three points, only allowing Oceanside to score a total of 12 points by the end of the second period. The fouls for Carlsbad were ten and for Oceanside seven.  The Lancers kept up their fast paced offense and continued to dominate the offensive boards.

“The main focus this game was to really work on all our different offenses and defenses and get the feeling of teamwork,” Snow said. “Also to really see everything we have been working on during practice come together in a game, we are learning to see what works and doesn’t work.”

During the third quarter Oceanside earned a few more points but the Lancers finished with a strong victory of 68-21.

“We did a really good job of playing together and thats a large focus this year,” Allen said.”This year there are quite a few new members on the varsity team, including myself.  One of our main goals before league play is to build a strong chemistry and it’s good to see signs of this so early in the season.”