• Peer tutors available in library before & after school
  • Follow @thelancerlink on Instagram, Twitter & TikTok
News for the Carlsbad High School Community

The Lancer Link

The Lancer Link

The Lancer Link

LCC comeback attempt not enough to overtake varsity water polo

Andrew DaRe

The varsity boys water polo team added another victory to their record on Oct. 19 as they beat down the La Costa Canyon Mavericks 14-5 despite a valiant comeback attempt by the Mavericks in the second half.

The Lancers came out swinging with a goal by sophomore Kevin Chapa within the first minute. With a little over a minute left in the first period junior Reece Allen set up senior Rainer Sherwood for a goal.  To cap off a terrific start, junior Shaun Robinson scored off a rebound from a penalty shot.

Starting off the second period with a lead of 4-1 Carlsbad continued to dominate both offensively and defensively. Sherwood, after a slow start in the first period, scored three goals in the second period. On the other end of the pool, senior Peter O’Laughlin allowed only one goal which closed out the first half with the Lancer’s on top 9-1.

After halftime the Mavericks came out with renewed energy and scored three goals in the third period but Carlsbad matched them goal for goal as they boosted their score by an additional three points as well bringing the score to 12-4 at the end of the third period.

In the fourth period the Lancers scored two more goals. La Costa Canyon had the final word, scoring on a power play in the final minutes of the game. Despite ending on a sour note, Carlsbad came out as the victors with a final score of 14-5.
Despite the Maverick’s coming out strong in the second half Coach Feaster is not too worried about Carlsbad’s defense.

“LCC played hard,” Feaster said. “When you’re up that much you have a tendency to have a mental letdown.”

Mental letdown or not the varsity men’s water polo continues to live up to their reputation.