• Peer tutors available in library before & after school
  • Follow @thelancerlink on Instagram, Twitter & TikTok
News for the Carlsbad High School Community

The Lancer Link

The Lancer Link

The Lancer Link

Adding to the famous wall

On February 4, Carlsbad High School added four more athletes onto their famous Wall of Fame during the varsity basketball game.

Parents, students and staff all enjoyed the ten minute tribute to Steven Vieria, Derek Stockalper, Joey Beltran and Sean Canfield during half time.

“These guys are all professionals, present or former. They have all won numerous awards, both in high school and college. They are such great role models for our high school,” TR said.

Steven Vieira, 1999 graduate, was not present for his acceptance onto the Wall of Fame, but his brilliance as a Lancer football player was praised along with his successful college football career at UCLA.

Our own math teacher, Mrs. Stockalper, accepted her son, Derek Stockalper’s, Wall of Fame award. He was unable to make the ceremony because he is currently playing professional basketball in Switzerland.

The Oceanside crowd sure knew how famous alumni and UFC fighter Joey Beltran was because the gym soon filled with chanting of his nickname, Mexicutioner. Coached by former Carlsbad wresting coach Mark Nelson, Beltran is ranked eighth in the nation in UFC fighting.

Sean Canfield, Saints quarterback, seemed to be the star of the night. He had a tremendous high school football career which set him up for a success on the Saints team. He had nothing but thanks to his home town school.

The importance of the Wall of Fame is more then just giving professionals recognition.

“This Wall of Fame stands for a challenge to encourage high school athletes to perform to their fullest potential,” TR said.

Many high school athletes look to the Wall of Fame as a goal to strive for their best in a sport. Steven Vieria, Derek Stockalper, Joey Beltran and Sean Canfield all compared this honor to winning the greatest of awards.

“It’s cool that our little school raised such talent in the real world,” Senior and the Women’s Athletic Coordinator Sarah PackardĀ  said.