What to expect at grad week

The senior sunset is on June 14.

The senior sunset is on June 14.

The senior sunset is on June 14.

Alyssa Slattery, news editor

Unlike the rest of the school, seniors’ last week will be filled with fun instead of finals. Grad Week will consist of field trips, food, bonding and more in order to leave seniors with closure before they begin next chapter of their life.

Although Monday will be a normal even day, Grad Week activities will commence starting Tuesday. At 7:30am on Tuesday, students who already paid, will leave from Basswood to go to Knott’s Berry Farm on their assigned buses. Seniors are required to bring their check out sheet. Students not going on the trip will turn their checkout sheets into their counselor no later than 10:30am.

“I really want some quality time to spend with all the people I love,” senior Courtney Drisko said. “I love going to Knott’s Berry Farm and haven’t been to Disneyland in a while, so I am pumped to experience our last moments together.”

On Wednesday at 8:00am, the school will be providing a senior breakfast as well as distributing caps and gowns for graduation. Students are allowed to decorate their caps later on, as long as it remains school appropriate.

“All the seniors will come together on Wednesday morning and we will all get fed for senior breakfast,” senior Emily Dewhurst said. “There we will receive our cap and gown and have the opportunity to sign each others yearbooks.”

Later that day, seniors will meet again for the senior sunset. More information to come on the Carlsbad Class of 2017 Instagram.

“We all started off the year doing the senior sunrise at Calavera, so I think finishing our year off as a class is important,” Dewhurst said. “It is just something we can do together to say our final goodbyes and look at everything we have accomplished this past year.”

Thursday will be the mandatory two hour graduation rehearsal starting at 8:00am in the stadium. Seniors will then meet back up again at 3:15pm with their gown draped over arm and nothing else, including cell phones. Afterwards, gowns will be returned and diploma will be picked up from the track area.

“This final week we will create lasting memories with all of our friends before we all separate and leave for school in all different parts of the country,” senior Taylor Hollingsworth said.

Friday marks the last school event of high school: Grad Night. At Disneyland, students can celebrate graduation with their class during their very last time together.

“I am most excited about going to Disneyland on Grad Night because it will feel good to end with a senior memory with my best friends,” senior Proma Dewanjee said.

The last week of high school can be emotional and hard for some, but the senior activities will ensure students stay optimistic and ready to take on new challenges of the future.

“Grad Week is tiring, but a lot of fun,” Dewhurst said. “So get some sleep, and be prepared to make so many new memories in your last week of high school. Also, as always, make good choices.”