Wish For Kids raises money for Make-A-Wish Foundation

Girls at the CHS for Wish kids booth worked all day to advertise cookies. Throughout the day, many people stopped by the booth and made their donation to the club.
sierra gomperts

On Sunday May 5th, downtown Carlsbad hosted the semi-annual Carlsbad Village Faire. As the largest street faire in San Diego County, the Carlsbad Village Faire consists of over 850 unique vendors, along with countless art exhibits.

Among the variety of vendors and exhibits, lies the Carlsbad High School Wish For Kids booth. The members of Wish For Kids work at this booth, selling cookies in order to raise money for their club.

“I’ve been making cookies for this past month like hundreds and hundreds of cookies,” junior Yasaman Samsamshariat said. “It’s really cool because I got to see all the work that goes behind an organization.”

Founded only four years ago, Wish For Kids club members work to raise money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. This year, the club is lead by junior president Yasaman Samsamshariat.

“There was a previous president who started the club four years ago,” Samsamshariat said. “And then the two presidents last year passed it down to me this year.”

Each year, the Make-A-Wish Foundation assigns a Wish Kid to the club.  These Wish Kids are young children who are battling cancer and other life threatening illnesses. CHS students then raise money to make this child’s wish come true.

“Last year we sponsored a kid named Zach who’s wish was to go to Australia and hold a koala bear,” Samsamshariat said. “It’s really rewarding to know that I can help these kids smile and make them happy because they are going through a lot.”

Wish For Kids is a great club that is constantly looking for new members. Any student can join by attending a club meeting which take place every Wednesday in room 3203. President Samsamshariat encourages all students to stop by a meeting and support this great cause.

“It’s not really a big commitment but it’s good to be involved,” Samsamshariat said.