Easy DIY gift ideas

Corinna Auerbach, Reporter

Gift-giving is one of the most enjoyable things people do. However, with that there are always times where people don’t know what to get. An easy solution to the unsureness of gifts is homemade ones. There are so many meaningful gifts that would make someone feel grateful and loved. Along with this, the supplies needed isn’t too expensive for a student’s budget.

Astrological Sign Poster:

• Navy Blue Cardstock Paper $.59 ea. at Michaels     
  • White Paint Pen $3.99 for 2 pack at Michaels
  • Clear Glue $3.99 at Michaels
  • Silver Glitter $1.49 at Michaels
  • Silver Frame *optional*

An astrological sign poster can show the constellation, dates and months of the sign. First, use a white or silver pen to write their astrological sign and date of the sign at the top of the paper. Next, sketch out the constellation of their sign in the middle. After that, go over the pencil in clear glue and sprinkle silver glitter on top of the glue. After shaking off the glitter, let the poster dry completely and put it in a frame if desired. This gift is personalized to the person’s astrological sign which shows that you care about who they are as a person. This is a really cute and easy gift that is great for friends.

Jewelry Dishes:

• Air Dry Clay $7.49 for 2.5 lbs. at Michaels   
  • Acrylic Paint $.79 per 2 oz. bottle at Michaels
  • Clear glaze $2.49 per 2 oz. bottle at Michaels

Jewelry dishes are different sizes and colors which makes them personable. Making jewelry dishes are a simple DIY that will take a bit of time. These are great because you can personalize them to whomever is receiving this gift.  Making the jewelry dish will take a bit of time because the clay takes 2-3 days to dry, but sculpting and painting them is very fun. First, sculpt the clay into the size bowl you want. Next, smooth out all of the bumps and put them in a safe place to dry. Once dry, paint the design you chose and let it dry. For example, you can paint flowers or the person’s initials in cute colors. After the bowl dries completely, paint over it with the clear glaze. This is a super cute gift idea for friends or family that is really personalized to the person.

Embroidered T-Shirts:

• Plain T-shirt $3.99 at Michael’s   
  • Embroidery Thread $.56 ea. at Michael’s
  • Embroidery Needle $2.79 for one pack at Michael’s

Embroidered T-shirts are really fun and personalizable because you can choose the design you want on the shirt. First, split your six string thread into two strands of three. Next, put the one strand through the needle and tie it together at the end. Start your stitches by going up from under the shirt so that the knot is on the inside. The easiest stitch to do for beginners is a running stitch which is going up through the shirt and back down in your chosen pattern. After completing your pattern, tie and trim the remains of the strand off on the inside of the shirt. Embroidering a shirt is a great gift for friends or siblings and it shows that you spent time on the gift and you care about them.

Mason Jar Candles:

• Mason Jars $2.09 ea. at Michaels   
  • Beeswax $15.99 for 12 oz. at Michaels
  • Candle Wicks $3.99 from Michaels
  • Unrefined Coconut Oil $6.99 at Michaels
  • Essential Oils $4.99 ea. at Michaels

Mason jar candles are fun and easy to make multiples of. First, prep your jars by adhering the wick to the bottom of the candle holder using your choice of adhesive. Next, melt your wax by placing your glass container in a pot of boiling water. Once your wax melts, mix in melted coconut oil and add 10-12 drops of essential oils if desired. After everything is combined, pour the wax into the mason jar, making sure to leave room at the top. Let the wax set and wait at least a day before burning. Mason jar candles are perfect gifts for friends because they are trendy and can be great decor.