• immigration
    • Chapter 1
    • Chapter 2
    • Chapter 3
    • Chapter 4
    • Chapter 5
    • Chapter 6
United, Unido, Uni, Mutahada, Vereinigt, Nagkakaisa, Sjednocený, Hui

IN-DEPTH: Immigration

June 8, 2018

Throughout 2017-2018 the discussion of immigration has yet to come to a clear solution. Many have been affected due to the issue and their voices have been heard.  Our school is made up of many first generation students that have all made their opinions very clear, no matter which side of the discussion you are on, we are united.

Protest for solidarity leaves Immigrants stranded at the border

Following a journey of almost a month, caravans of migrants lined the border earlier this month, and continue to line the outskirts of the Tijuana border in hopes of refuge and  of finding a new home on American frontiers. After hundreds of miles, the caravan reached the border with the intent of seeking asylum. To qualify and prove for asylum, it is required to show unjust persecution in due part of race, religion, political sciences and partisanship to certain groups.

Those pleading for entry illegally, risk facing prosecution, thus preventing handfuls of migrants from organized caravans from receiving an American life. According to members of US customs and border protection, several migrants from the caravans climbed over the fences that make up the border between Tijuana and San Diego. As seen through the repeals of DACA and through the travel ban under the Trump administration, the presidency remains partisan to anti-immigration reform.

“I think that one of the people that we can attribute to the current status of immigrants is our president,” said senior Erika Matlala. “I think that with the very easy and open allowance of discriminatory opinions , it is easy to go against people coming here such as Mexicans. I think it’s much easier to have a stronger void against people who are migrating here. Maybe ten years ago, this would not have been such a huge ordeal. All of this just makes it easier to have immigrants not be here.”

With the public traction that has been gained with Trump’s tweets not only about the notorious “wall,” but also about stopping the caravans from gaining asylum, immigrants have gained a sense of disrespect from the presidency overall. With having been deemed “animals” in the past by Trump, those who are well acquainted with the struggles that have been faced by immigrants have started to speak out on social media platforms in order to maintain the integrity of their people.

“My parents have never stopped working, they have never stopped being good tax payers and they have contributed to this society enough where I think that they should be deserving of more,” said Matlala. “Obviously with the social climate, we couldn’t expect more to happen, but that’s just the situation that children of immigrants have to see and it’s just the norm.”

By making a point of flooding the border with hundreds of people from organized caravans, migrants have made headlines as they push to be noticed. Families came in from as far as El Salvador, and surrounding areas to finally arrive around the border at Tijuana to pose the problem of individual struggle, the problem of discrimination and their entry into a country that is meant to pose opportunity and welcomeness. The incoming caravans that began to arrive around April have caused political upheaval and the questioning of how capable the United States is in terms of handling immigration and the process of seeking asylum.

“I find it ironic that we (immigrants) are a disgrace to have when this country was built on the backs of hardworking immigrants-so which is it Mr. Trump,” said Matlala.

The apparent dishonor against immigrants that Trump has assumed has taken its toll against the esteems of those who are of minority groups and those who are immigrants themselves. At the first chance of the caravan story’s publicity, Trump began to release statements that were similar to those released during his campaign. Some ranged in around the premise of immigrants  both bringing danger and taking jobs away from the “American” people.

“This country’s world-view is that if you want to be successful, work for it, and if you don’t have the success that you see others having , such as the American dream, that is your own doing. If you don’t have a white picket fence home, you’re not working hard enough. That’s how simple it is. You’re not working hard enough,” said Matlala.

Immigration from the P.O.V. of A Mexican-American

Immigration is a topic that has not gone away nor has anybody come to terms with what will be done to deal with the issue. Will 800,000 immigrant children be rid of their legal status? Will the president actually commit the inhumane act of splitting families? What will happen to those who are deported? All these questions have been left unanswered in the immigration discussion and quite frankly, it is unfair. It is unfair that people do not know what will be done to them, their whole lives at stake and in the hands of men and women who despise them.

Fear. There are immigrants who walk around in fear of being deported and taken out of a country that they respect. There are children who live in fear of not being able to see their parents. There are aunts, uncles, and cousins who fear not being able to see each other anymore. The talk of mass deportation has not led to safety, in fact it has led to undocumented people getting hurt. A walk in downtown Los Angeles is no longer that, but it is getting thrown into an ICE car without notice. Living in their own homes is no longer safe, as officials will bang on their doors and take them from their families. It has led to many people believing that because their president calls illegal immigrants animals that they are right to treat them as such.  

Now, I understand wanting safety and living in a country where bad things don’t happen, but that won’t be solved by mass deportation. Sending those who not only help the economy back to a country they needed to escape will not make this country safer. It will divide it. This issue of immigration runs deeper than safety, it is blatant racism and profiling of colored people. There is especially bad stigma surrounding the Latino community, I will admit that, but because one commits a crime does not mean that we all are criminals. We have instilled into our children that the Hispanic community is one that should be avoided because they are “dangerous”. We are in gangs, we sell drugs, and we come to the United states to take and not give. We come to the United States to live freely not take your jobs or corrupt your communities.

Building a wall will not keep these people out of the country. The simple truth is that when someone is in danger, they will do anything to escape that danger. No one simply decides one day that they are going to leave the only country they know to migrate to one where they will be harrassed. No one leaves family behind to go to another country to commit crimes. They are coming here for a reason, and that reason is constantly ignored. It needs to be noticed that these people, are people, not here to do bad but to help their families succeed.

Take that into consideration when you want to split families apart.

Solving Illegal immigration

America’s immigration policies have allowed around 1 million documented immigrants into the country in the year of 2016. Though with these 1 million documented immigrants entering the country, additionally 700,000 illegal immigrants entered and stayed within our beautiful country without any consequences. We must find a way to balance our borders between allowing legal immigrants to enter our country, and finding a way to stop illegal immigrants from entering.  

Immigration may be the only way for families to leave dangerous situations, such as gang violence, natural disasters, and simply a way to start a new life. These families that want to start a new life can do so properly, you can file documentation and aid to come into the U.S. Though when people try to come into the country illegally it causes problems not only for the country that they are entering, such as needed spending on border enforcement, but it can also cause problems for the people who are trying to start their new life. If they are caught trying to cross into the U.S. or caught within the country, they can be deported and sent away from their families that they are trying to start a better life for

The current immigration laws allow people who don’t live in America to permanently and legally reside inside of the country. Though when immigrants illegally enter the country it causes the government to spend money on resources to either document these citizens or sadly deport them. In the year of 2017 ICE made 226,119 removals of illegal immigrants from the U.S. alone. When we allow these people to not only cross over into our country but to live here without any documentation of them being residents of the country it can encourage other immigrants to skip the legal process of becoming a U.S. resident. They do not have work visas, birth certificates, or any real documentation to allow them to obtain jobs in the U.S.  Employers also have a hard time hiring these men and women because they are simply a risk at work, the human resource worker at the company must sign off saying that they are legal and have the proper documentation to live and work in the country. If immigration and customs enforcement (ICE) were to find out that they were illegal they would have to not only deport the illegal worker, but they would also have to arrest the human resource worker that lied and signed the form saying that they were legal.

The simple matter of the fact is that the men and women of our country need to find a way for these Illegal immigrants to either find proper documentation to reside here, or sadly deport them until they can receive their visas into our country. We simply cannot let them illegally cross over into America and live here without any consequence. The current government is promoting this behavior by providing them free food, welfare,  and community housing. We need to help secure our borders and encourage proper and legal ways to enter and live freely within our beautiful country.

Immigration, an inside perspective

Immigration is not a rare discussion topic and by having conversations about this issue, people can learn more about it. By talking to others who have first-hand experience with immigration and have had the impact of immigration on their lives, there is another perspective provided on the matter. Carlsbad High School junior and first generation American, Anayeli Hernandez, shares her story and opinions about immigration and deportation within the United States.

“For me (being a daughter of an immigrant) means that you have to work 10 times as hard to get half the recognition for anything,” Hernandez said. “Hard work is the only thing that will lead to success in my family.”

It is safe to say, the majority of the Carlsbad High School students have not experienced what Hernandez and her family have. As a first generation American, Hernandez has been able to learn many lessons that she will carry with her for the rest of her life.

“Nothing that I’ve had in life has been easy,’ Hernandez said. “My parents have had to work so much harder for it. I think that we are given the same opportunities if you work hard enough for them. They are still there if you stop making excuses for yourself and you can become as successful as anybody else. (People should know that) just because my parents are immigrants, doesn’t mean that I can’t do anything that anybody else doesn’t do and I’m not going to let that hold me back. The only reason I am doing all of this is for my parents. To give back for all the sacrifices they’ve made for me. The biggest thing (my parents have taught me) is to never give up. If they can make it here, so can I.”

Although Hernandez may have experienced challenges, but she has refused to let them stop her from becoming a successful student. Hernandez has been able to use her hard working attitude to strive towards greatness.

“The whole not having somebody who has experience in college or high school, my parents both had a third grade level education, is difficult,” Hernandez said. “You are not able to go to your parents and ask them for advice or help on how to get into college. Thankfully I have a brother who is first generation to go to college so I have some idea about what I’m getting into. Also, there is the finance thing. Because my parents are not born here, they have less opportunity for high paying jobs so that plays a part into what college I can go to and I definitely have to work really really hard to get scholarships to get into the college I want to go to and be successful.”

However, due to recent discussions in the media about the topics of immigration, Hernandez expresses concern towards those who do not fully understand the effects of deportation on immigrants.

“I think what a lot of people don’t understand is that if you see the process of deportation, I don’t think you would agree with it because it’s not ok for somebody to ever be ripped from their family just because they don’t have legal status here,” Hernandez said. “I think that some people are just so uneducated on the topic but they still feel as if they have the right to talk about it. It’s really annoying because if you’ve never been in a situations where you have had to fear that when you come home, your parents are not going to be there, then I think you shouldn’t interject an opinion.”

An international perspective on team environments

Two Italians share their stories comparing track and field in Italy and America.

Native Carlsbad students may not recognize how spirited or team-like our school actually is, however, when viewing our school from a whole new perspective, we may appreciate our team environments even more. Coming from Bologna, Italy about a year ago with a Visa E-2, athletes Celeste and William Guidotti have experienced sports in two completely different areas.

Junior Celeste Guidotti participated in volleyball, swimming and track and field in Bologna. However, sports in Carlsbad are conducted differently, in that they are school affiliated activities rather than independent organizations. This difference has offered a whole new experience of sports for Celeste. This change has been especially prominent in track and field. 

“It was just a small group [of] 15 and we didn’t have a lot of competitions [and] invitationals,” Celeste said. “I love it here because you’re in a group. In track and field you have your own event, but in the end, you’re all together; you represent Carlsbad High.”

It’s very new here. It’s a different world. ”

— Celeste

Feeling this deeper connection to a team has encouraged Celeste to not only do track and field next year, but also participate in cross country. Likewise, Celeste’s brother, freshman William Guidotti, has also noted the different team environments between their two homes.

“In Italy there were less people, and I felt less motivated because people didn’t really understand the meaning of being there [on the team],” William said.

Despite a lack of encouragement, William also did swimming and track and field, as well as soccer back in Bologna. When they moved here a year ago, William came willing to try new things and get more involved in the high school.

“I came with an open mindset, so I didn’t have many problems,” William said.

Now, William’s experiences has prompted him to think about his future in athletics. Beyond doing sports for the rest of high school, William also plans on running in college. But the perks of sports haven’t just been the activity itself, but also his fellow teammates that have contributed to his positive experience.

“I like the people I run with,” William said. “The good thing about this is talking with the people and joking with the teammates.”

By keeping an open mind and interacting with their new teammates, the siblings have perceived a positive team behavior at Carlsbad. Even if joining the track and field team made the transition to a new country easier, the Guidottis have definitely adjusted to major differences, especially athletically. 

“It’s very new here,” Celeste said. “It’s a different world.”

Accepting Immigration

People must accept immigration, for we all share the same earth and must remain united as people rather than discriminate one and other.

About the Writers
Dulce Martinez, A&E editor
Dulce Martinez is a second year writer for Lancer Link. She enjoys doing community service, helping others, and writing. She is very excited to be an editor and guide first year journalists through an amazing year.
Alexandra Ayala, news editor
Alexandra goes by Al, just because it’s easier to say. She is the news editor for Lancerlink and this is her first year in Lancerlink. Last year, she was a writer for Lancer Express, so this is her second year on staff. Al, is a vegan and her favorite activity is poetry. She is currently...
Aj Griffin, staff writer
Anthony, who likes to go by AJ, is a freshman in high school who has a love for writing. He took advanced journalism because he hopes to better his writing through different styles of it. When he not in school, AJ is on the football field or doing another extracurricular activity. When he is older,...
Emma Lupica, features editor
Emma Lupica is a sophomore at Carlsbad High School and this is her second year in journalism.  In her free time she enjoys playing waterpolo and volleyball. She also loves hanging out with her friends, playing with her Great Dane and watching Netflix. She is excited to help improve the journalism program this year and...
Catherine Allen, sports editor
This is Catherine Allen’s first year on Lancer Link and is looking forward to expressing her love for writing. At CHS, she is also a part of Speech and Debate, French club, and the JV tennis team. Hobbies outside of school revolve around music, from making Spotify playlists for every occasion to playing guitar. No...
Sam Chacon, photography editor
Sam Chacon is a first year photographer at Lancer Link, who enjoys shooting photos of sports and nature. He also loves the ocean and surfing with his friends and brothers. Sam enjoys traveling to exotic places, hiking, and camping. Sam’s go to bands are The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Arcade Fire, Kanye West, and The...