FEATURED ATHLETE: Melissa Kay, Swim

Nichelle Fene, Staff Writer

Melissa Kay is one of the members on the school’s swim team, and also serves as the captain for the team.

Lancer Link: How long have you been swimming and how did you get into it?

Melissa Kay: “I started swimming seven years ago, so I started when I was in 6th grade and I got into it just because I wanted to start doing a sport and I loved always being in the water.”

LL: What are you most proud of in your swimming career?

MK: “I think I’m most proud of being able to compete at CIF for all four years of high school and it’s really exciting. And I’m also really proud to be team captain this year of the varsity swim team.”

LL: What do like most about swimming?

MK: “I think one of my favorite part is just being in the water and being able to swim. Also I just enjoy all of the people that I swim with. I think that’s gonna be the hardest parts when I leave because I had wonderful friends I made through swim.”

LL: What are you most excited about this season?

MK: “I think the thing I’m most excited about this season is CIF because it’s my last one ever and it’s a really good opportunity for the team to have one last hoorah and one last opportunity to swim as fast as we can.”

LL: Who/ what is your biggest inspiration?

MK: “I think my biggest inspiration is probably the seniors that graduated before me because I’m always trying to be like them, and be as good as them that sets a good example when I was an underclassmen, and even last year I wanna be that example to the underclassmen this year”.

LL: If you could play any other sport, what would you play?

MK: “I think other sport I would want to play is water polo. I never got to try water polo, but I’m pretty clumsy on land, so I would definitely be sticking to the water.”