• Varsity Men's Lacrosse game on Tuesday, April 11 @ 7:00pm

• Girl's Softball is having a fundraiser on Monday, April 10 from 5pm-9pm @ Señor Grubby's

• The Shakespeare Festival showcase is on Thursday, April 13 from 7pm-9pm @ CAC

• Follow @thelancerlink on Twitter and Instagram for updates

Students recreate a glimpse of the past

Photo Courtesy of Gus Weyandt

Photo Courtesy of Gus Weyandt

Emma Lupica, Emma Lupica

Carlsbad High students Gus Weyandt and Connor Hannan share the love for a unique hobby, reenacting the Civil War. They immerse themselves into history by participating in reenactments and enjoy these weekend adventures into the past. 

“The reenactments are a lot of fun,” junior Conner Hannan said. “We head out on Friday and set up camp. On Saturday we make breakfast and we have a battle or two, then usually the public comes through to take visits around camp and ask us questions. Then we will have another battle and then dinner. On Sunday we do the same thing we did on Saturday.”

During these battles, the public can watch these reenactments as a fun past time. While they watch they can see what it may have been like during the Civil War.

“We try to portray what it would be like for a soldier fighting in the civil war,” senior Gus Weyandt said. “I am a Union soldier but we have guys who come out that are on the Confederate side. We kind of just show what it would have been like to fight, live in the camps and march throughout the country.”

Not only are these life-like battles going on throughout the camps, but other activities that may have been going on in the daily life of a soldier as well.

“What the public sees is the battle, but after the battles are done, during the night, we campout,” Weyandt said. “We actually sleep in tents for a couple of days at a time. We play the banjo and fiddle. We try to immerse ourselves into that period as much as possible.”

There are many one of a kind encounters that often take place at the camps that continue to draw back participants in the reenactments.

“It’s fun just getting to experience what the soldiers would have experienced back then,” Hannan said. “We often do stuff like marching into battle, firing rifles, just living around in camp for a couple days like they would.”

Throughout the reenactments, no modern technology will be exposed so that they are as realistic as possible.

“We try to keep it as period correct as possible,” Hannan said. “Most everything that we use comes from back then like pocket watches and matches. We try to hide everything that isn’t period correct so that when people walk by all they see is the Civil War.”             

Not only is this a fun and different hobby but it has impacted these ‘soldiers’ by a long shot. It has given them a unique experience that will help them in the future.

“I love history and I’ll be studying it next year in college,” Weyandt said. “This is just kind of a way to learn more about history, immerse myself into the period and experience history first hand.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Students recreate a glimpse of the past”

1. Wendy Hein on April 17th, 2017 3:21 pm

As a retired teacher with CUSD, I was happy to learn of the Civil War History immersion project involving CHS students, Gus Weyandt and Connor Hannan. This is definitely an excellent way to make history relatable to our lives today… by stepping into the shoes of American soldiers from 150 years ago and reenacting the experience. Best of luck to both students in their future pursuits of historical relevance and accuracy outside the regular classroom. We all need to learn from the past.

And a special “shout out” to Gus who was my 3rd grade student 9 years ago at Magnolia. I had the privilege of teaching Carlsbad History to him, and am very happy that he is still interested in this amazing subject today. History has always been my passion, too. Enjoy your college history classes next year! I wish you much success.

2. Aaron Romine on April 18th, 2017 7:32 pm

The Civil War was a favorite subject of my father, and I enjoy seeing my oldest grandson learning history and being photographed in reenactments. For the first time this year we visited the Natioal Historic Site of Andersonville Prison and National Cemetery in South Georgia, back roads of America.
    Point of Interest: Providece Spring
    With conditions at their worst, prisoners prayed for water. After an August 1864 thunderstorm, a spring burst from the ground. It received its name from the grateful prisoners.

• Students recreate a glimpse of the past

Features

Lydia Barajas shares her culture through dance

Features

Why should you go to Prom?

Features

DeSilva looks back on a year abroad

Features

Tejada says adios to Carlsbad High

Features

Will Stonebrook captures the world around him

Features

Remembering the Holocaust

Features

Sana fights with a smile

Features

The art of procrastination

Features

Debating their way through high school

Features

Q&A with Proma Dewanjee

Students recreate a glimpse of the past