The Young and the Jobless

In a recent survey, 1,200 seventeen year- old high school students were asked basic questions about American history to determine teen knowledge of American government. One third of these high school students did not know that the Bill of Rights guarantees the freedom of speech and religion. Along with these students, many other teens aren’t aware with what has happened and what is currently happening in America’s government.

One of the problems in our current government is the economy. Many teens aren’t aware of the failing economy or the outcome of it. So, let’s look at one of these results- unemployment and how it applies to teenagers.

In January, unemployment rates shot up dramatically to 12.5% in California making California’s unemployment rate the fifth-highest in the nation behind Michigan, Nevada, Rhode Island and South Carolina.

Many teens are finding it harder to obtain or keep jobs. Without jobs, teens don’t have the money to go out to dinner with their friends, or have the money to pay for Coachella and for the gas to get there. Not only do adults feel the money pressure from the economy, but teens feel it as well.

“Unemployment is definitely taking an effect on me,” Junior Alex Klemroth said. “It is hard to get jobs now so it’s also hard to pay for gas and to do stuff with my friends.”

In eight counties in California, one in five people do not have a job. Because of unemployment, people are losing more than their jobs; people are losing money, their homes and families are falling apart. Unemployment is escalating to problems deeper than just losing a job. All people, including teens, should save their money and spend it wisely to survive the economy’s current low point.

“I have cutback on a lot of things I spend on,” Sophomore McKenna Tollack said. “I don’t shop as much and instead of going to the movies I have friends over for a movie night.”

Obviously, people who don’t have a job have to go to extreme measures to stay above water, but for people who still have a job and aren’t drowning, then spending money isn’t a bad idea. People who can afford it should still shop as usual and spend money at local businesses instead of Walmart to help San Diego’s economy.

In 2008, 2.6 million jobs were lost which lead people struggling for some support during these horrible times. Unemployment is a huge result from the awful economy and it has caused people to thrive off of the little that they have. Jobs are limited, but the hopes for a better economy are still high. People should adapt to this economy and wait for the worst to fly by.

Most people, teens and adults alike, are struggling with unemployment. Everybody is being affected, but people can still survive this economy. Teens should carpool, bring a lunch to school and buy clothes at the end of the season to get a good deal. Unemployment is not the only results of the economy, but many people seem to be stressed about it the most.