Returners anchor boys varsity volleyball season

During a break in play, senior Devin Van Siclen gets some pointers from Coach Tomkinson on the sidelines. Van Siclen is new to the varity squad this season but his 6'5

During a break in play, senior Devin Van Siclen gets some pointers from Coach Tomkinson on the sidelines. Van Siclen is new to the varity squad this season but his 6'5" height has bee an asset to the team.

Tori Hyson

Tori Hyson

Jillian Della Penna, staff writer

Last year, the Carlsbad varsity boys volleyball team successfully ended the year after winning the CIF championship in the open division. As springtime has finally arrived this year, the varsity boys volleyball team is anxious to begin another successful season following last year.

After an eventful summer, fall, and winter off-season, the boys have been preparing and training to have yet, another successful end to the season.

“We are working extremely hard in practice because we know we have big shoes to fill from last season,” senior JJ Steccato said. “A typical practice consists of passing, blocking, and hitting drills as well as some scrimmages.”

With 13 players on the varsity team, only three are returners: Zane Emery, Jack Goedken, and Colton Petiprin. They are working together to guide the team to have another successful season.

“The three returners from last year’s team have been playing club and beach volleyball to prepare for this year’s season,” senior Jack Goedken said.

Steccato, a new member of the varsity team, has been playing volleyball for three years. In the off season, he plays for the club, Wave Volleyball, to help stay in shape and keep his skills refreshed for the new high school season.

“Volleyball has shown me that it takes a team to win and everyone needs to buy in if we want to win,” Steccato said. “Playing volleyball and participating on a team sport has helped shape me by showing me that the team is more important than my own personal desires.”

As of right now, the Carlsbad boys are at a standing of 6-4. With dedication in practice, the boys are preparing to fight against Eastlake on April 13 in Lancer Arena.

“The beginning of the season has been a little rough but we are working out the kinks, and we hope to finish first in the league,” Steccato said.

The majority of the boys on varsity this season have been playing volleyball together since freshman year. With years of memories, experiences, and bonds, the team has a tight-knit connection which, like any sport, makes a difference on the court.

“The team chemistry is unlike any other team that I have played with before considering that all the guys on my team are some of my closest friends,” Goedken said. “We do lots of team bonding off the court. We are all really close and hang out together when we’re not busy with school or volleyball.”