Lancers pull ahead of Sage Creek

On+Tues.+Oct.+11+Sage+and+Carlsbad+faced+each+other+on+the+volley+ball+court.+Although+Carlsbad+lost+the+first+of+four+games%2C+we+ultimately+took+the+win+against+Sage.++
On Tues. Oct. 11 Sage and Carlsbad faced each other on the volley ball court. Although Carlsbad lost the first of four games, we ultimately took the win against Sage.

Nathalie Rodriguez

Nathalie Rodriguez

Jazmin Treadway, staff writer

On Oct.11, girls varsity volleyball fought a close match against Sage Creek. The Lancers came out with a 4-1 win, however, the Bobcats kept the team on their toes. Lancers showed their spirit with loud chants and wore pink for Breast Cancer Awareness.

Carlsbad lost the first game against the Bobcats, 25-20. Most points were scored by one of Sage Creek’s hitters, Riley Gill. 

“When we watched their warm-up’s we thought it was going to be an easy game, so we kind of went in unprepared and when we lost the first game,” senior Kelley Jacome said. “it was like wow we need to pull it together and get this win.” 

Sage trails closer and closer behind them throughout the final games. After losing their other league games, Carlsbad had a lot of pressure on their shoulders to beat Sage Creek.

“I feel like we played down to their level of play and didn’t really adjust to what they were putting on our table and they had actually beaten a team we lost to, so they were high on their haunches,” senior Alana Snow said.

During the second game, Sage took the lead, but Carlsbad fought aggressively to take the advantage, winning the third game 25-16.

“We have one of the toughest league we have ever had, and have been playing our hardest and not winning any games,” Snow said. “I feel like it gives a damper to our motivation for each game.”

Sage Creek and the Lancers are big rivals making this a big game for both Carlsbad and Sage Creek. The lancers won the next two games, leaving Carlsbad with an all around win over the Bobcats.

“With this win finally under our belts, I think it will give us the confidence to win our games in the future.” Snow said.