Coleman DePretis, 12

Jake Saftig

Senior Coleman Depretis plays hockey for the San Diego Junior Gulls. He has been playing competitive hockey for ten years.

Spencer Stone, Staff Writer

Coleman DePretis has dedicated his life to the unusual Southern California sport of hockey. With his youth career coming to an end, he hopes to continue his career post high school and play in Europe.

LL: How did you get into hockey?

CD: I was eight and my brother’s friends played hockey and I thought they were cool so I tried it and from there I got hooked.

LL: How many years have you played?

CD: Since I was eight, so ten years. I feel like it was just yesterday when I picked up my first stick.

LL: What is your favorite hockey memory?

CD: Beating Team Hong Kong in the Junior Olympics. Those guys were sick; they gave us their own player cards after we beat them. Overall, it was a really fun experience.

LL: What is your best lesson learned from hockey?

CD: I guess just work ethic. Always try your best and don’t quit, quitting sucks.

LL: What are some pre-game rituals that you have?

CD: I always have to put all the gear on the right side of my body first, so I go right sock, then right skate, then right shinguard. And I have a certain playlist that I have to listen to, and depending on the day of the week I wear a certain tie for my suit.

LL: What is some advice for younger players trying hockey?

CD: Start as soon as you can because there’s already someone out there just at the rink all day every day. Just strive to be the best.

LL: Who is your biggest inspiration?

CD: Noah Babin, my private lesson coach. He wasn’t just my coach, he was someone I could always go to, and just a positive influence to me.