Girls lacrosse comes in with a swing

Mackenzie Tucker

Girls varsity lacrosse took on Pacific Ridge shortly before playing some of their biggest rivals, Mission Hills and La Costa Canyon. While unsure of the outcome, the girls pulled off both wins.

Karissa Lynaugh, Writer

On Tuesday, March 24 girls lacrosse played Mission Hills. Four days later they were back on the field playing one of their biggest rivals: La Costa Canyon. After a successful pre-season, winning almost all of their games by significant amounts, the first two seasonal games showed their determination and commitment to the game.

After beating Mission Hills twice last year, Mission Hills came out strong hoping to defeat Carlsbad, however the lancers were determined to keep the winning streak against them going. With an intense level of play by both teams, the first half ended with just one point between the score.

“Last year we beat them twice (Mission Hills), but then they made it to the last round of CIF and we did not, so there was a big target on our back this year for them to beat us,” senior varsity player Makenna Benson said.

As the second half of the game began, CHS demonstrated their commitment to pull out a win with the final score 10-9. Goals were scored by Grace McGinty, Katie Beyer, Miranda Berchtold, Mackenzie Frost, and Delaney Benson.

“The last ten minutes were high intensity. We had to get those goals in and defense was really strong,” Benson said. “Carlsbad has never been the best team so we have always had to strive to be really good and work hard. A lot of it is the skills are there, but our mindset is somewhere else. It is all about getting our minds all focused on one set goal.”

With one common interest in mind, the lancers hope to win league and compete in CIF.

After winning against Mission Hills, girls lacrosse carried this momentum into their game against La Costa Canyon. Knowing the intensity LCC would bring onto the field, Carlsbad came out strong.

“LCC destroyed a team that we got destroyed by, but as we came into the game, we realized they are not as good as we thought,” senior varsity captain Katie Beyer said. “We have to focus on ourselves and keep the momentum going during the game. We are definitely excited to play them again because we actually have a chance at beating them.”

Although Carlsbad did not come out with a win, they will play another game later this season. With a new found confidence the lancers are looking forward to going up against LCC.

With quite a few experienced seniors on the team, the younger girls on the team have many teammates to rely on for advice.

“We work hard during practices and really listen to the captains because they have great advice. All the older girls set a good example for the younger girls. It is nice to be able to look up to them and know this is what I have to work up to,” sophomore senior player Mackenzie Frost said.

For the girls lacrosse team, lacrosse serves as more than just a sport to the girls. It is an outlet from the stress school poses and a bonding experience on and off the field.

“I am really looking forward to the opportunities that we are going to have. I think we have really improved over the past two seasons,” Frost said.