• Varsity Men's Lacrosse game on Tuesday, April 11 @ 7:00pm

• Girl's Softball is having a fundraiser on Monday, April 10 from 5pm-9pm @ Señor Grubby's

• The Shakespeare Festival showcase is on Thursday, April 13 from 7pm-9pm @ CAC

• Follow @thelancerlink on Twitter and Instagram for updates

Kamala Harris: California’s new champion

Alex Brown, staff writer

The beauty of elections grants the opportunity to vote ineffective leaders out and replace them with leaders more fitted for the role. After the recent Nov 2016 election, many reelected officials returned to their offices to continue their duties, and many newly-elected officials began their journey in the U.S. government. One of the brightest elected was Senator Kamala Harris, the first black senator from California and the first Indian American to serve as a U.S. senator.

When beloved California Senator Barbara Boxer retired, many Californians broke out in panic about who would replace her. As Trump’s position in the polls continued to rise, a frenzy erupted regarding the fear of a politician similar to Trump taking Senator Boxer’s seat.  As a predominately liberal state, the prospect of a republican (or worse: a conservative) being elected to the U.S. senate scared Californians throughout the state.

Happily, nerves were eased when the race’s two frontrunners were both liberal women, Loretta Sanchez and Kamala Harris. On Nov 8, 2016, Harris won the election with 62.4% of the votes, and on Jan 3, Senator Harris officially took office and began on her mission to better the government and the country.

Throughout her career, Harris has not only served as San Francisco’s district attorney and Attorney General of California, but spent her time in office fighting for political, ethical, and moral issues. Although risky, the senator has put her position on the line in order to support her beliefs. In a country run by corporate sell-out politicians, seeing a person in power risking all she has to insure and protect the equal rights of all citizens brings a sort of genuinety and likability to the office.

The strong fought battle between Senator Harris and injustice has carried on for years, and will continue to until true justice is available for everyone, regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, sexual identity or intellectual ability. Fortunately for Californians, laws are already in place which designate restrictions on obstruction of justice for anyone. That being said, the ease in sticking the reality of liberal Heaven (AKA California) to any situation has repeatedly proved to cause more harm than good.

That is what makes Senator Kamala Harris such a unique case. Although she lives in California and is exposed to the sweet and easy democratic ways of the liberal West Coast, Harris has the ability to stretch her skills and knowledge around the country, all the way to Washington D.C. With such a rare mindset, Senator Harris  has already been the topic of conversation when discussing future presidents. Harris’ drive, determination and genuine supportive attitude fits the descriptions of past presidents and grants disgruntled citizens hope for a brighter tomorrow.

In a time plagued with violence, ignorance and bigotry, it may be hard to look ahead to see what the future will bring. Although there is no possible way to predict the future, a Harris presidency does not seem so far fetched. Besides, even if Harris never becomes or even runs for the presidency, I am proud to have her represent the state of California and the United States government.