• Varsity Men's Lacrosse game on Tuesday, April 11 @ 7:00pm

• Girl's Softball is having a fundraiser on Monday, April 10 from 5pm-9pm @ Señor Grubby's

• The Shakespeare Festival showcase is on Thursday, April 13 from 7pm-9pm @ CAC

• Follow @thelancerlink on Twitter and Instagram for updates

To my future children

Alex Brown

In the wake of such a shocking presidential election outcome, I was met by a fury of different emotions. Among them; anger, sadness, shock, denial and coping with the reality of a Donald Trump presidency were feelings I had to deal with. I was going through the stages of grief. I was grieving the loss of a society that I once respected. The final stage is acceptance, and while the other feelings are still lingering, I think I’m as close to acceptance as I will ever be. So I’m trying to move ahead and figure out what to do now. All I can think of is the future: the future of me, the future of my friends, the future of my family, but – most importantly – the future of my future children. To clear my head from the mess that is the future Trump presidency, I did what I always do to cope. I wrote. So here is my letter to my future children:

I’m so sorry. I never thought this would happen, but it did. I hope you live in a world that gets through this. This is a major setback, but there are still good people in the world who will help us prevail through this time. I hope this doesn’t change how people view you, or how you view yourself. If you are a female, if you decide to follow the Islam religion, if you marry someone who is a different race, if you’re apart of the LGBTQ+ community or if you live your life in anyway that Donald Trump has attacked people for: you are not bad. You are wonderful. If you live your life in kindness, you are doing nothing wrong. You have a right to your life and please don’t let prejudice take away your livelihood. On the other hand, I so hope you are tolerant. Please treat others with respect. Please love with all of your heart. Please don’t view others in a negative light just because they don’t live their lives in the same way.

To my daughter: Donald Trump has called women such horrible things, it brings me to tears thinking of it. You are strong. Do not let this shake you. Please live your life expecting respect. Don’t let men hurt you. Don’t let other women hurt you. Don’t hurt men. Don’t hurt other women. Cut your hair. Burp. Never wear dresses. Pursue your dream career. Use swear words if it helps convey your point. Don’t be afraid to live your life and go against the idea of being “ladylike.” Never hesitate to accept others.

To my son: Respect women. Don’t be afraid to cry. Wear pink if you want to. Be a dancer. Be a singer. Don’t be afraid to pursue what you love. Show your emotions. Be an advocate. Be strong, but don’t be afraid to let your weaknesses show. Don’t feel the need to prove your masculinity. Be proud of yourself, but NEVER knock people down. Don’t use derogatory terms towards others. Never hesitate to accept others.

The election of Donald Trump can have two possible endings: the country will either follow the lead of Donald Trump’s hatred or will rise above and create a revolution of love, acceptance, and equality. If the country follows Trump’s lead, make your own revolution. Fight for love, acceptance and equality. Don’t let the majority dictate what is right and what is wrong.

If I could give you one piece of advice, I would tell you to spread love. Don’t hate, but don’t be afraid to fight for your morals. Live your life trying to find love and happiness and all you want will follow.