Seniors pose for a photo at the top of Calavera Mountain during the senior sunrise. Seniors meet at before 6 am on Labor day to hike up the mountain as a class to celebrate the beginning of senior year. (Ryan Du)
Seniors pose for a photo at the top of Calavera Mountain during the senior sunrise. Seniors meet at before 6 am on Labor day to hike up the mountain as a class to celebrate the beginning of senior year.

Ryan Du

The final countdown: senior year

April 20, 2016

It’s here, the moment you’ve all been waiting for. Your entire educational career has led to this moment (cue Pomp and Circumstance). But before you take that coveted walk down the aisle and say “adiós” to Carlsbad High School, let’s take a moment to look back on the pros and cons of senior year.

Pros of Senior Year

1. Senior Activities: Three years of anticipation and envying seniors has led to this. Grad Night, Knott’s Berry Farm, Senior Breakfast! Why watch the intensity of the totally non-school affiliated Senior Assassins game from afar when you can finally experience the crippling anxiety yourself? Fun!
  2. Highest on the totem pole: For three years you have been nothing but fresh meat to the seniors on campus. Now that you are finally the big dog on campus it is your turn to feel the greatness of walking through campus as everybody stares in awe.
  3. Senioritis: The dreaded disease that plagues seniors across the nation will hit you approximately two minutes into your first class of senior year, but it doesn’t really matter anymore. Most of you have already acknowledged the sufficient work ethic needed to close out senior year, AKA the bare minimum. So sit back and relax.
  4. Maturity: No longer will you have to ask for permission to use the restroom.  No longer will you have to ask your parents for permission to go out on a Wednesday night. No longer will you have to deal with high school drama. These are just some of the perks that you will obtain upon graduating high school.
  5. Opportunity: While many seniors often view the future as a looming cloud of darkness, there is no denying the inevitable chance for growth which will come about. The future presents a new world of opportunity and excitement for fresh high school graduates to take advantage of, whether it be traveling, job opportunities, or college.

Favorite part of senior year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

About the Writers
Photo of Ryan Du
Ryan Du, Social Media Guru
Ryan is a senior and the current ambassador of all social media matters for the journalism staff under the great leader, Mrs. Ryan. After reaching his goal of becoming Grand Writing Wizard last year, he absorbed all of his former mentor, Griffin Nordin's life energy and made the transition to social media. Working his way up from the slums of Carlsbad, Ryan has slaved countless hours in hopes of one day becoming the Grand Social Wizard his parents now want him to become. He is the dirtiest dog at the pound and the loudest howling monkey on his game. Ryan has already done what Nike wants you to do.
Photo of Spencer Stone
Spencer Stone, Staff Writer
Spencer Stone is a seventeen year old, first year writer at The Carlsbad High School. In his free time, Spencer plays a wide variety of sports including, soccer, volleyball, bowling and ancient Chinese tortoise wrestling. Spencer's major accomplishments include being accepted into NAU, becoming a lifeguard at the local pool and receiving a high score of 22,910 on snapchat. Spencer hopes to travel the world seeking a purpose for his existence, raise a puppy from birth and win the 2008 NBA finals.