Tyler White

Just four of the reasons to pick Carlsbad High School.

Top Ten reasons to choose Carlsbad High School

January 11, 2016

Eighth graders from every middle school in the district have an important decision for their future: Sage Creek or Carlsbad High? While considering the academic, athletic and extracurricular benefits of each school, middle school students have toured CHS’s campus to help make the best choice. Since eighth graders must make their decision by Jan. 29, we have compiled 10 reasons why you should become a Lancer.

1. Traditions: CHS has history. Founded in 1957, there have been 59 graduating classes of Lancers who have set traditions for future students. For example, Lancer Day. It’s not a day to just celebrate being a Lancer, it is a day to celebrate Carlsbad. Students and alumni of Carlsbad District schools celebrate the day of the Homecoming football game with a parade that marches throughout Carlsbad. Not many other schools have this unique community event. Going to CHS is not just attending a school, it is entering a community.

2. Athletics: CHS has a wide variety of athletics. Our boys varsity water polo team has won 12 consecutive CIF championships and our boys soccer team is ranked #120 in the state. The past two years, the CHS Track and Field girls team has been league champions in the Avocado West league and our Lancer Dancer and Xcalibur dance teams compete in UDA National Dance Team Championship every January. Sports programs thrive at CHS.

3. Teacher Alumni: Many teachers here on campus are also CHS Alumni. They understand the campus traditions and the school spirit we share. While remembering the memories they made as a Lancer, they encourage the current students to make the same memories. Once a Lancer, always a Lancer.

4. Journalism and Broadcasting Programs: CHS is home to three journalism publications (The Lancer Link online newspaper, Lancer Express newsmagazine and Purple Shield yearbook) and one broadcast journalism program (CHSTV). All programs are entirely student-run and open to all grades. Through these programs, you can travel around the country and compete with high school journalists at different conventions, where students of both programs win national awards. All of these classes take place in different periods, so students are not limited to joining only one program.

5. Speech and Debate: You can hone your public speaking and debate skills in CHS’s Speech and Debate program, which ranks in the top 1% of the nation. There are 17 different categories within both Speech and Debate to choose from. Recently, Carlsbad High’s Varsity and Novice team earned 1st place Sweepstakes at the San Diego League Tournament.

6. Loud Crowd: During fall, Friday nights are football nights. Students with painted faces, Carlsbad shirts and plenty of school spirit cheer in the main student section, called the Purple Pit. These students are a part of Loud Crowd. This year the Loud Crowd leaders incorporated new ideas that brought more students to the football games such as a DJ, fog machines and T-Shirt cannons. The Loud Crowd attends both home and away games for numerous games and events at Carlsbad High.

7. A Variety of Clubs: With around 2,500 students at CHS, there is no shortage of student-run campus clubs to choose from–all are eager for new students to participate. Clubs are a great way to meet new people, earn community service hours and get involved on campus (not to mention the food, a guaranteed yearbook picture and a chance to participate in the Lancer Day Parade). There is a club on campus for everyone, ranging from the Green Club to Spanish Club to Robotics club. Feel free to check out our club quiz to see which club best suits you!

8. Established academics: While CHS provides an assortment of elite extracurriculars, we have an established academic program. CHS offers 21 AP classes, which range from AP Environmental Science to AP Music Theory. Carlsbad High School has had alumni attend schools such as UC Berkeley, Dartmouth and Harvard. These students are able to create a strong foundation for their future through CHS’s academics.

9. Visual and Performing Arts: CHS is also home to award-winning art and theatre departments. Last year, CHS art students won the grand prize of $75,000 in the Vans Custom Culture Competition in New York City, where they competed against 3,000 other schools. Students can enjoy the annual spring musical and fall comedy put on by CHS’s theatre department, as well as the music from CHS’s Band, Orchestra and Choral department.

10. ASB: There is no shortage of school spirit at CHS. ASB’s spirit days have Carlsbad students decked out in tacky tourist gear, complete camouflage or preppy attire. ASB maintains activities and events for the students to enjoy, including dances such as Homecoming, Winter Formal, MORP and, of course, Prom. ASB also hosts lunchtime activities, such as the CHS Blizzard, where there was soap “snow” in the quad.

You can check out Carlsbad High School on our campus tour dates, which can be found on the schoolloop homepage.

View Comments(1)
About the Contributors
Photo of Emma Veidt
Emma Veidt, Editor-In-Chief
Emma Veidt is a senior at Carlsbad High and a co-editor-in-chief. She runs on the varsity cross country and track team, but her favorite hobby is eating. She is a member of Champion Lancers, a program that promotes healthy and drug-free lifestyles.  Known for her obsession with her cat, Dusty, she co-created a weekly cat-themed holiday, Cat Friday.
Photo of Haley Spanier
Haley Spanier, Editor-In-Chief
Haley Spanier is a senior at Carlsbad High and co-editor-in-chief of The Lancer Link. She enjoys spending time with family and friends. In her free time she can be found running track, playing with her cat or eating burritos. This is her fourth year on staff.
Photo of Tyler White
Tyler White, Art Director, Artist
Tyler White: 3rd year Lancer Link artist, 1st year Art Director, 2nd year veteran in the love game.

The Lancer Link • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

• C

Cormac DuffyFeb 12, 2016 at 3:57 pm

I am a student who goes to San Luis Obispo High School which is almost 279 miles from where you guys live. I think that extreme spirit and your commitment to everything makes you a great school to attend. Keep up the great work!

-Cormac Duffy

Reply
1