Making senior memories the proper way

photo illustration by: Adoley Swaniker

Seniors, Michael Ricci and Grady McDermott, sport their floaties in the school parking lot where seniors are no longer safe from getting out of the senior assassins game.

Mady Christian, Writer

Senior year is considered the most significant out of all of the high school years for obvious reasons; in less than a year, the seniors will no longer be a part of the high school as they branch off and begin living in the world of adulthood.  It’s because of the intimidation of being thrusted into an entirely different realm of living that fuels seniors’ need to make as many memories as they can while they still have the time to do so. Though this seems to be a noble idea on the surface, the pressure of making memories has caused many seniors to force themselves to make shallow memories rather than long-lasting memories as they scramble to do “memorable” things.

The pressure to create senior memories has gained momentum each year, especially with the introduction of social media. With underclassmen viewing the posts and pictures from seniors that they follow, they become more inclined to believe that their senior year must measure up to what they are seeing, ultimately leading them to overcompensate during their own. The pressure of creating senior memories also comes from teachers eager to watch their students complete their final year of high school, putting added pressure on them to make the year fun and memorable.

The longer the school year drags on, the less valid the “senior memory” making has seemed to become; things as meager as going to the beach after school one afternoon have been deemed as worthwhile memories. Seniors have lost their grasp on what properly defines making a memory, using the title of senior memory to make themselves feel that their last year in high school has thoroughly outdone the rest.

In fifteen years, no one is going to remember the single time that they decided to go to the beach on a Tuesday afternoon, but rather they will remember the feelings associated with each small occasion and the friends they chose to make memories with. The reasoning behind making senior memories shouldn’t be based upon making feeble attempts to make memorable moments a reality, but rather choosing to do things that will ultimately trigger a memory about a certain feeling associated with senior year.

When choosing to partake in the making of senior memories, keep in mind that the most memorable of events are events that trigger a feeling or emotion, and that the people you choose to surround yourself with will be the largest variable of your senior year that you remember.