Surround yourself in good company

Senior%2C+Kyra+Carillo%2C+and+her+friends+catch+up+at+lunch.+These+girls+have+stayed+in+their+tight-knit+group+since+they+were+in+the+eighth+grade.+

Adoley Swaniker

Senior, Kyra Carillo, and her friends catch up at lunch. These girls have stayed in their tight-knit group since they were in the eighth grade.

Kitty Knorr, Writer

The concept of “friendship” is weird and wonderful, yet it is too often taken for granted. Typically friendship spawns from a bond of mutual affection. However most teenage girls might argue that bonding is only possible when there is a mutual hatred for a third party. Whether you’re a social butterfly or a wallflower, we all deal with different kinds of people in our daily routine. Friends are the people that we choose to surround ourselves with. But as we grow up and carry out our schooling, relationships either end or evolve.

Elementary school houses elementary friendships–kids bond over juice box brands and rainbow loomed bracelets. The good old days. But sooner or later, big-bad fifth graders promote and carry most friendships into junior high school.

In middle school braces and cliques cover the campus. Students from several elementary schools are confined to three years of p.e. and electives. Students meet and make new friends as they continue to interact with their elementary school ones. In junior high, kids begin to develop both personalities and crushes.  Groups and cliques expand or disperse because of complementing or conflicting personalities. Yet through middle school social interactions, we learn to grow as individuals. Sometimes middle schoolers form egos and attitudes (typically reflecting that of their friends) because they are beginning to feel more independent. But it isn’t until high school that kids and their friends really get a taste of independence.

Middle schools funnel into the much-anticipated high school years. And high school can present tough social struggles in a time where students are maturing and dealing with higher academic and social expectations. As we face each day, we are changing and exploring the things that we find important. I know it sounds silly and obvious, but a twelfth grader is not the same person that they were in the seventh grade. So why would one still have the same group of friends? Now, it’s likely that you’ll keep some friends and lose others. But it’s also possible to start fresh and make an entirely new group of friends. The sky’s the limit! Take control of your own life and surround yourself with good company.

We all walk down different paths. And after high school, everyone travels down a different road anyways. Nowadays with social media and networking, it remains easier to carry out long distance friendships. And who knows, your elementary school friends might still be your best friends. But if they aren’t it’s okay. Even though we can’t control the future, anyone can control that decisions that they make. So cherish the time you spend in school surrounded by your peers.

As we grow older, our social situations change. It’s only natural to expand our horizons and create new relationships. Being kind and welcoming will get you far in the world, but please never feel obligated to be someone’s friend. And while some relationships drift apart, but that doesn’t mean that they all do. Just look at Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire; Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift; John Adams and Thomas Jefferson. Take pride in your friendships! For the time being, school will continue to play a large role in our life. Make the most of it by surrounding yourself with people that you enjoy spending time with.