Activities to do this summer in San Diego

Emma Lupica, Editor-in-Chief

Instead of watching Netflix everyday this summer, get inspired to try something new! There are many hidden adventures in our community that are waiting to be discovered this summer. The San Diego area has so many activities that are sure to add some fun to your summer.

1. Go to the Beach:
    1. Ocean Beach Dog Beach- At this beach, you will find a wide variety of of happy canines wandering around with their owners. Visit here for a family day and don’t be afraid to bring along your furry friend.
    2. La Jolla Shores- At La Jolla Shores, you will find a wide variety of activities. This ranges from snorkeling, kayaking, whale watching and hanging out at the beach.
    3. The Children’s Pool Beach- A concrete wall separates a small area from the rest of the ocean. Swimmers, divers and children have been drawn to this unique spot.
  2. Have a picnic at the park:
    1. Cottonwood Creek Park- This park has a running creek along with many unique bridges and trails. There is also a rock wall that is sure to entertain.
    2. Kellogg Park- Kellogg Park is one of many beach parks in the San Diego area. It has a grassy area, playground and a location right on the beach.
    3. Webb Park- At this park, the duck pond gives plenty of entertainment to people of all ages. Have fun feeding the ducks and riding on the bike path around the pond.
  3. Visit a theme parks and attractions:
    1. Legoland California- At Legoland there are 60 attractions, an aquarium and a water park.
    2. Disneyland- Disneyland is a favorite to many San Diegans because of it’s history and attractions. Make sure to visit California Adventure as well when at Disneyland California.
    3. Universal Studios- At Universal Studios, you have the chance to jump into your favorite movie and see behind the scenes. Harry Potter World has been recently added.
  4. Go on a hike:
    1. Cedar Creek Falls- This is a five mile hike in Ramona. Although it is a difficult hike, there is a waterfall at the end that is open to swimmers.
    2. Potato Chip Rock- This is a seven mile hike in Poway. People come from all over to hike this path and take pictures on the famous “potato chip” rock.
    3. Three Sisters Falls Trails- This is a four mile hike in the San Diego area. On this hike, you will come across many waterfalls and wildlife.
  5. Hop in the water on a hot day:
    1. The Wave Water park- The Wave Water park is a smaller water park but still hold lots of fun within its gates. There are many slides, a lazy river, pool and the famous wave.
    2. Aquatica San Diego- On a hot day, visit Aquatica San Diego to enjoy water rides and lazy river with family or friends.
  6. Enjoy San Diego’s animal parks:
    1. San Diego Zoo- At the zoo, there are more than 650 species and 3,500 animals. This zoo has the largest population of giant pandas in the United States.
    2. San Diego Zoo Safari Park- Ride the tram to see animals from Africa and Asia like rhinos, giraffes, antelope and gazelles.
    3. Seaworld San Diego- At Seaworld San Diego, there is a wide variety of sea life and activities waiting to be explored inside the park.
    4. Birch Aquarium- Tickets for ages 3-17 is $14. This is a very interactive and educational experience.
  7. Dive into the past:
    1. USS Midway Museum- This is the longest-serving U.S. Navy aircraft carrier of the 20th century. Visitors can explore the engine room, galley, sleep quarters and much more.   
    2. Old Town- This historic town has attractions, restaurants, shopping and endless entertainment.
  8. Embrace nature:
    1. Botanical Gardens- From 9-5, visit the Botanical Gardens for just $14. Observe the blooming flowers and beautiful ceremony.
    2. Japanese Friendship Gardens- Tickets are $8 for students to enter. Throughout the site, there is an abundance of historical informations as well as a stunning surrounding.
  9. Interesting Events to Visit this Summer:
    1. Del Mar Fair- Between June 2- July 4, visit the Del Mar Fair. Entrance fee is $18. There are many booths, rides, art and performers that are sure to entertain.
    2. Kaboo- On Sep 18-20 Kaboo will be held. At Kaboo, there is some very well known artists and bands of the decade.
    3. Comic Con International: San Diego- This year, the event will be held July 20-23.