Formal 2016: A New York state of mind

Winter Formal 2016

Students+lined+up+in+the+ASB+room+Friday+after+school+to+purchase+tickets+for+the+Winter+Formal.+Tickets+were+%2425.00+with+an+ASB+card+and+%2460.00+without.+

Marianna Marsden

Students lined up in the ASB room Friday after school to purchase tickets for the Winter Formal. Tickets were $25.00 with an ASB card and $60.00 without.

Angie Perry, Staff Writer

This year’s Winter Formal, themed a “New York State of Mind,” will be held at a new, off-campus location for the first time. ASB has arranged for the dance to be held at the Del Mar Fairgrounds tonight, Sat., Feb. 6.

The phrase a “New York State of Mind” holds an abundance of different interpretations. Aside from being the title of a signature hit by singer Billy Joel, the saying symbolizes infinite opportunity, sociability and round the clock activity–all characteristic of The City That Never Sleeps.

“When I think of New York, I think of something exciting, classy and bold, so I think that is the aim for this year’s formal theme,” senior Lila Smith said.

Being held at its new location, the Del Mar Fairgrounds, the dance offers underclassmen an off-campus dance experience and upperclassmen an opportunity to witness something a little different for their last formal dance. There will also be exhilarating new features such as a fog blaster, dance pods, a DJ wall, casino tables and photo booths.

“We just really wanted to make a new, exciting, memorable formal experience for not only seniors, but also underclassmen,” said senior Natalie Hendricks.

The formal will take place from 7-10:00 p.m. and a map to the event can be found on the schoolloop homepage.