• Battle of the Fans Friday, February 12th 5:30 Girls Basketball 7:30 Boys Basketball Theme: Purple

• The first day of track and field practice is Monday, Feb. 22nd and everyone MUST be registered to participate.

• Girls Lacrosse Tryouts will be held on Saturday, February 20th from 10am-12pm at Carlsbad High School.

• To support the "Purple" theme for this Friday's basketball game ASB will be selling Purple "12th Man" shirts for $5.00 all week at lunch.

• Applications are now being accepted for the California Scholarship Federation for Spring 2016.

Budget cuts plague Carlsbad students

Natasha Menard

Juniors Alex Miller and Katie Bradshaw march in front of school Wednesday, March 28 before school in opposition to the proposed cuts to the 2013-14 budget.

Scott DeTaboada, Staff Writer

On March 24, 2011, Governor Brown signed 13 bills into law that included a law that reduces the budget for our own school district. Because of these cuts, Carlsbad Unified School District has to cut $3.5 million from their budget in the 2011-2012 year alone.

This loss of funds is the cause of the commotion students have been hearing about around campus. Students and parents alike are outraged towards the school district’s use of money. Many programs, along with teachers, are being cut in order to comply with the new, stricter budget restrictions, and even though 24 pink slips have been rescinded, the problem is still prevalent in our district.

“These budget cuts are going to affect our students drastically. The collection of offerings that are needed for students to have a well-rounded experience in high school may be taken away,” said Richard Nielsen-Eckfield, columnist for Voice of San Diego,. “Programs are being cut that help to make students more complete individuals.”

The question most people seem to be asking is this: if our school district is required to cut millions of dollars from our budget, to the point where we cannot even afford paper for our teachers, how have we afforded to build a brand new campus and open up a brand new high school? Students around campus are rallying to stop the budget cuts from affecting our education.

“It’s not only ridiculous, but fiscally irresponsible to open the new school. The fact of the matter is that we cannot afford it,” junior Katie Bradshaw said.

It seems to be a reality that we are going to lose many educators and programs due to the budget cuts going into effect next year.

“Our students need to desperately hang on to the things that make them who they are, whether it be art programs or music programs and so on. We all have vested interest in this. There’s more to being a high school student than just core classes, and we’ve got to protect that,” Nielsen-Eckfield said.

The result of these cuts may be a dramatic reduction in fine arts and specialized courses. The fact of the matter is, solutions are yet to be given, meaning all of our educations will be affected come the 2012-2013 school year.

“The budget cuts will affect us all differently, but will ultimately cause detrimental effects in our education,” sophomore Adam Faringhy said. “I’m unhappy to hear about these budget cuts. Hopefully a solution will show itself soon.”