REVIEW: Beauty and the Beast

Samara Anderson, staff writer

The live action remake of the 1991 animated film, Beauty and the Beast, came to theaters on Mar. 17. This movie has a 71% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and holds some box office records that include: best opening for Emma Watson, director Bill Condon, the month of March and the sixth biggest opening in the nation.

I would like to let you all know that sadly, I have not even seen the original Beauty and the Beast, but of course I know the soundtrack. Who doesn’t? With that being said, I do not have anything to compare the remake to, but I thought it was an excellent movie and very well done. The main reason I wanted to go see the movie was because I love Emma Watson, and the fact it seemed like the movie was going to be a huge hit, which it definitely was.

I think a crucial part to an incredible movie theatre experience is the audience. Some friends and I were very excited to see this movie, so we bought tickets to go on opening night. Let me tell you, we were not the only ones pumped for this movie. Waiting in a long line outside of the theatre, there were little girls dressed in Belle’s beautiful yellow dress, as well as groups dressed in black pants and a yellow shirt. The theatre was so filled, and everyone was waiting eagerly to witness something magical. Every time something humorous happened in the movie, the audience laughed. When people in the audience laugh during comical parts in a movie, it makes the experience more fun for me personally, although I see how some people might be bothered by that. Overall the movie was excellent, and the audience’s interest and engagement in the movie made it that much better.

Now to the movie itself: it was absolutely magical. The costumes, the actors/actresses, the humor, the setting; it was all amazing. I thought Emma Watson was the perfect fit for Belle. She was captivating and it turns out she has an amazing voice as well. Josh Gad, who is well-known for the voice of Olaf from Frozen, made a great Le Fou. He definitely humored the audience. The movie did a fine job portraying the message that there is more to someone than their exterior.

I left the movie theatre feeling joyful and relaxed. The movie incorporated action, romance, suspense and comedy, and it is amazing when a movie can have such an effect on someone in so many different ways. Beauty and the Beast is the type of movie that can be enjoyed by people of all ages, so I strongly encourage that you go see this incredible film.