Museum of Making Music works to expose the intricacies of music to the public

The+Museum+of+Making+Music+is+opened+Tuesday-+Sunday+from+10-5.++The+museum+shows+many+interesting+exhibits.+

Victoria Smith

The Museum of Making Music is opened Tuesday- Sunday from 10-5. The museum shows many interesting exhibits.

Megan Overbey, Writer

The Museum of Making Music sits above the Flower Fields at 5790 Armada Drive in Carlsbad where patrons can visit Tuesday through Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.. The museum regularly hosts a variety of concerts, workshops, family events and more. For example, on Feb. 27, world renowned bassist Victor Wooten is hosting a master class and concert at the museum.

The museum got it’s start in 1998, founded by the National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM), a century-old trade association.

“In March 2000, the Museum was opened to the public,” marketing manager B.J. Morgan said. “The Museum provides opportunities for cultural enrichment while preserving our musical heritage through special exhibitions, innovative concerts and educational programs aimed toward a wide range of audiences. On permanent display are hundreds of vintage instruments, audio and video clips, and a vibrant interactive area.”

As the Museum of Making Music, there are many different displays and exhibits that celebrate the manufacturing and creation of instruments and music.

“The Museum of Making Music’s permanent collection tells the story of how musical instruments were made, sold and used,” Morgan said. “It showcases the history of musical products, manufacturers and music retailers spanning back to the 1890s up to the present day. On display are historic artifacts that served as innovations, breakthroughs, and influential icons of their time.”

The museum also offers interactive music features for musicians exploring with new genres and ideas.

“Additionally, the Museum features a variety of modern, hands-on instruments that visitors can play privately using headphones or as a group,” Morgan said. “The Museum also features a room for temporary, special exhibitions. These exhibitions focus on a particular musical idea, topic or instrument. The current special exhibition now on display through July 31, 2016 is ‘LOW: The Power and Beauty of Bass’. It explores aspects of low frequency (or bass) instruments and their impact on music.”

One of their more popular events, Albert Lee is returning to the museum on Mar. 25 and 26 to perform a two-night concert.

“I have been playing the guitar for 2 years and I am really looking forward to attending Albert Lee’s concert in March, he is a great artist,” sophomore Brian Nelson said. “I also plan to visit the museum, I think it has a lot to offer to aspiring and veteran musicians.”