K-ROQin’ and rollin’

Maddie Bowman

The 1975 plays one of their old hits from their first album, “Girls” for thousands of fans. KROQ hosted their annual Almost Acoustic Christmas, December 12 & 13 at The Forum in Inglewood, CA, drawing fans in due to their wide variety of musical guests.

Samantha Simmons, Opinion Editor

Musical artists come in all shapes and sizes, representing countless numbers of genres and sub-genres and are idolized by music lovers from all walks of life. With this wide variety of talent, what qualifies one as being undeniably great? To Para Los Niños, the Al Whooten Jr. Heritage Center and radio station KROQ, the best musical artists are the ones who donated their time on Dec. 12 and 13 to raise money for organizations supporting at-risk youth.

Fans of artists such as Halsey, Disclosure, twenty one pilots, Bastille and Cage the Elephant came together to benefit non-profit family service agency Para Los Niños on Dec. 12. Located throughout the Los Angeles county, Para Los Niños was designed to foster at-risk children. With a similar goal in mind, the Al Whooten Jr. Heritage Center strives to “supplement the public educational system and to identify and meet family social needs,” said the Al Whooten Center on their “About Us” page located on their website. Represented by bands such as Panic! at the Disco, Fall Out Boy, The 1975, The Neighborhood and James Bay, fans from across Southern California raised money to help the “revitalization and empowerment of a community in crisis,” as the Whooten Center puts in their mission statement.

Both organizations publicly announced their gratitude to the people who bought tickets.

“Thank you The World Famous KROQ for the benefit concert this weekend,” says the Al Whooten Center in a Facebook post. “Thank you for the $90,000… Helping keep our programs going this year for over 400 students.”

As James Faust once said, a grateful heart is the beginning of greatness. But much can be argued for those exceeding that single requirement.

The 1975, a band thriving off the undeniable charisma of their frontman Matty Healy, opened their set with “Love Me,” a song from their new EP and upcoming album. They followed suit with the rest of the performers in finishing with their most popular song getting the entire audience out of their seats if they weren’t already. They stood proudly next to their first hit album and previewed their sophomore album. Compared to David Bowie as well as Duran Duran, The 1975 surely represented their band name.

Lead singer Jesse Rutherford caught everyone’s attention when he walked out on stage with his signature leather jacket, high-wasted jeans and Adidas slip-on sandals with socks. The band that had originally been dubbed “that one band who sings Sweater Weather,” kept the undivided attention for the 40 minutes that followed by proving to the Los Angeles crowd they had more to offer than just one hit single, maybe five or six. With the bands main influencers being the Beatles, Metallica and Failure, they were your classic rock band re-imagined.

“They exuded a passive-aggressive intensity,” L.A. Times writer Mikael Wood said.

All bands were represented throughout the crowd and the foundations have raised enough money to carry their community with them through any hard times that may come.