CHS dance teams compete at award-winning level

Carlsbad’s Lancer Dancers and Xcallibur dance teams, attended their annual dance camps at the University of San Diego and the JW Marriott in PalmSprings. They compete for spots at the Universal Dance Association (UDA) National Dance Team Championship in Orlando, Florida.

Monique Dufault, A&E Editor

This summer, Carlsbad High’s varsity and junior varsity dance teams, Lancer Dancers and Xcalibur, attended their annual dance camps where they compete to qualify for their spot in the Universal Dance Association (UDA) National Dance Team Championship in Orlando, Florida.

Although the camps are both sponsored by UDA, they are differentiated in a two main parts. The Lancer Dancers go to an “elite” competition hosted by the University of San Diego and Xcalibur went to the “resort” competition at the JW Marriott in Palm Springs. In addition to the differences in level and location, the way each team can qualify for nationals also varies.

For the Xcalibur team, there are multiple ways to secure a spot for January’s competition.

“One way to qualify is if every member of our team achieves a blue ribbon through the master classes we take with guest choreographers,” junior and Xcalibur member Natalie Palmer said. “But the best way to qualify is to get first place in our home routine. We start practicing this dance at the end of the school year so that it’s ready to be competed on the first day.”

Lancer Dancers, however, have only one route to choose when qualifying for nationals. For the elite competitors, it’s all or nothing.

“We have to receive a blue ribbon for home routine, get all blue ribbons for the two numbers we learn at the camp and perform at the end of the week, and receive a blue ribbon for our ‘team routine’,” sophomore and Lancer Dancer Lindsay Foster said.

Despite these differences, some similarities are instituted in the camps. While the competitive aspect is prominent, it is not the only component of either elite or resort camp.

“There are spirit awards given there so we all try to be very enthusiastic and very peppy the whole week,” junior and Xcalibur member Melissa Conteras said. “Spirit awards are important to Carlsbad and we try to win them if we can.”

Through their time at elite camp, the Lancer Dancers won multiple awards.

“We won first place for home routine, Superior Trophy for 100% blue ribbons, Full Out Award for team routine, the Top Drill Down Team award and most importantly the Team Leadership Award voted by the other teams at camp,” Foster said. “We are so honored.”